Help! Roosters comb blue and having troubles breathing.

Herdybird

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 19, 2014
Whonnock BC
Early today everyone was fine then the last time I checked one of my roosters ( the smaller one) seemed tired and he was easy to catch, to easy, combs blue ish and having difficulties breathing. Checked him over, can't feel or see anything wrong, feed him water and now I'm just keeping him in the house to see if it gets better. But my first reaction was to go for the axe. Noticed the other rooster the head roosters the very tips of his comb are a bit blue. Could dust from hay cause this?

Welcome to BYC. Can you post a close up picture of his head from the side? What do his poops look like? Are there any wrinkles in his comb or swelling? Ruffled feathers on the back of his neck, or tiny red spots on his upper legs? Could he have any frostbite on the comb?

Also check nostrils,make sure they are not plugged with feed,as this can happen and will cause blue tinge combs and irregular breathing.

You mentioned dust from hay,did you just add hay? There are many causes of respiratory issues,start with nostrils,any new bedding,cold,etc all these can have the same symptoms.

Frostbite is also a cause as Eggcessive mentioned.

T
Welcome to BYC. Can you post a close up picture of his head from the side? What do his poops look like? Are there any wrinkles in his comb or swelling? Ruffled feathers on the back of his neck, or tiny red spots on his upper legs? Could he have any frostbite on the comb?
Thank you for your post it have me a lot more to research and watch for. Wasn't able to post pic, didn't find bumps or swelling. He's doing a lot better now after the first night I put him back and watched him carefully. When feed my chickens I stood by to make sure he was getting as much as he could eat and drink.

Also check nostrils,make sure they are not plugged with feed,as this can happen and will cause blue tinge combs and irregular breathing.

You mentioned dust from hay,did you just add hay? There are many causes of respiratory issues,start with nostrils,any new bedding,cold,etc all these can have the same symptoms. 

Frostbite is also a cause as Eggcessive mentioned.
Thank you for your post, he's doing a lot better now, I think it might have been the hay.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

You might want to put some Probiotic in the water for about 3 days .....

Continue to keep an eye on them. If the comb was truly blue or purplish in color, it is almost always a sign of pulmonary or heart distress. The reasons for this are many, and can include but are not limited to: respiratory distress (infection, disease, blockage), genetics, tumors growing on the heart and/or lungs (cancer or Marek's disease), physical blockage of the nostrils or airways, gapeworm, respiratory irritation, toxic fumes such as teflon (usually not a concern for outdoor birds).

Anyhow, keep an eye on them and if you notice any other symptoms (they might be subtle), let us know. Best wishes to you!

Continue to keep an eye on them. If the comb was truly blue or purplish in color, it is almost always a sign of pulmonary or heart distress. The reasons for this are many, and can include but are not limited to: respiratory distress (infection, disease, blockage), genetics, tumors growing on the heart and/or lungs (cancer or Marek's disease), physical blockage of the nostrils or airways, gapeworm, respiratory irritation, toxic fumes such as teflon (usually not a concern for outdoor birds).

Anyhow, keep an eye on them and if you notice any other symptoms (they might be subtle), let us know. Best wishes to you!

Big X 2

Back
Top Bottom