Help! Roosters comb blue and having troubles breathing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Herdybird, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Herdybird

Herdybird New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    Whonnock BC
    Early today everyone was fine then the last time I checked one of my roosters ( the smaller one) seemed tired and he was easy to catch, to easy, combs blue ish and having difficulties breathing. Checked him over, can't feel or see anything wrong, feed him water and now I'm just keeping him in the house to see if it gets better. But my first reaction was to go for the axe. Noticed the other rooster the head roosters the very tips of his comb are a bit blue. Could dust from hay cause this?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can you post a close up picture of his head from the side? What do his poops look like? Are there any wrinkles in his comb or swelling? Ruffled feathers on the back of his neck, or tiny red spots on his upper legs? Could he have any frostbite on the comb?

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Also check nostrils,make sure they are not plugged with feed,as this can happen and will cause blue tinge combs and irregular breathing.

You mentioned dust from hay,did you just add hay? There are many causes of respiratory issues,start with nostrils,any new bedding,cold,etc all these can have the same symptoms.

Frostbite is also a cause as Eggcessive mentioned.

4. Herdybird

Herdybird New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    Whonnock BC
    T
    Welcome to BYC. Can you post a close up picture of his head from the side? What do his poops look like? Are there any wrinkles in his comb or swelling? Ruffled feathers on the back of his neck, or tiny red spots on his upper legs? Could he have any frostbite on the comb?
    Thank you for your post it have me a lot more to research and watch for. Wasn't able to post pic, didn't find bumps or swelling. He's doing a lot better now after the first night I put him back and watched him carefully. When feed my chickens I stood by to make sure he was getting as much as he could eat and drink.

5. Herdybird

Herdybird New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    Whonnock BC
    Also check nostrils,make sure they are not plugged with feed,as this can happen and will cause blue tinge combs and irregular breathing.

You mentioned dust from hay,did you just add hay? There are many causes of respiratory issues,start with nostrils,any new bedding,cold,etc all these can have the same symptoms. 

Frostbite is also a cause as Eggcessive mentioned.
    Thank you for your post, he's doing a lot better now, I think it might have been the hay.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

You might want to put some Probiotic in the water for about 3 days .....

7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Continue to keep an eye on them. If the comb was truly blue or purplish in color, it is almost always a sign of pulmonary or heart distress. The reasons for this are many, and can include but are not limited to: respiratory distress (infection, disease, blockage), genetics, tumors growing on the heart and/or lungs (cancer or Marek's disease), physical blockage of the nostrils or airways, gapeworm, respiratory irritation, toxic fumes such as teflon (usually not a concern for outdoor birds).

Anyhow, keep an eye on them and if you notice any other symptoms (they might be subtle), let us know. Best wishes to you!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Big X 2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by