Help! Roosters keep dying?

Urich50

Hatching
May 24, 2015
I have now purchased 2 two baby Silver Laced Wyandotte roosters to go with my flock. The first one died after about a week and the hen that I bought with him survived no problem. The second is acting the same as the first one did right before he died. Again the hen I got with this new rooster is doing great. What could be the problem? Any ideas to help this little guy survive?

Urich50

Hatching
May 24, 2015
Update: He is very lethargic and having difficulty standing and keeping his eyes opened. We have had him drank water and now have added Pedlite (Electrolite/vitamin mixture) for him to drink. He has been drinking it, but now it has all bubbled out of his mouth and I am worried he has aspirated. Any ideas?

Folly's place

Enabler
9 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
So sorry! Has the second chick survived? It sounds very bad. There are so many possible issues; management, diseases from the seller's flock, diseases in your flock, just to start. More information might help here, but a local expert who can examine your sick/ dying birds would be best. Mary

kyexotics

Songster
5 Years
Sep 26, 2014
These things happen...We'll hatch 40 birds, lose 1 or two the first day(usually just can't get to food and water, even when readily available and gets lost in pack until it collapses and dies, if we don't notice it first)...Then, once they've made it thru "the time" after hatching and seem fine, sometimes, 1 or 2 will just fall ill with no visible rhyme or reason and die even when we notice and give them individual attention, they just succumb and the rest will be fine...It seems you got the 'few' that just can't make it, even after hatch and some days out of egg...it sucks, we know...If it happens to a client, even though we can't control it, we take responsibility for it and offer to replace...It's about all we can do...Most are ok with that, it sucks to get attached and watch it suffer and die so soon, best thing is to get replacements in front of you ASAP and the love and joy they give you will replace the hurt sooner...

We're a bit unusual, we have 5 bators going so something is always going in or out of them, today we had 2 die that actually survived the hatching, always amazes us when that happens...Never made it out of bator, broke out of eggs, laid there normally drying, then died....Crushing to watch...

Top Bottom