Help! Roosting in trees...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buckaroo's wife, May 15, 2010.

1. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Songster

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Advice needed! I have 5 chickens that are approximately 4 months old. They've been doing great going in their coop each night - I let them free-range by day. Last night, a couple of them decided to roost in the trees instead of going in the coop. Tonight, I only found one in the coop when it was time for bed. The rest were all in the trees. Why the sudden change?? The only thing I can think of is that we've had some pretty violent thunderstorms the last few nights, and maybe it scared them from wanting to be in the coop?? How can I remedy this? I know roosting in the trees can't be safe...

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    These are some of my NM Tree Chickens,, they've roosted in the tree for years. They are safe here though, it depends on your predators.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Out on a limb:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. You`re right, it`s not safe. Pen them in the coop for about three days and see if they get the idea. If not, pen them for a couple weeks. Rule of thumb is, a chickens memory is good for up to 2 weeks, so that should get them started roosting back in the ccop. However, some are just predisposed to roosting in trees. If that`s the way yours are, you either have to build a run or take your chances with the predators. Good luck........Pop

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I would lock them up in their coop for a week or so and then let them out again. That might help. [​IMG]

5. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Songster

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I will probably end up locking them in the coop. We just have too many predators around here (coons, coyotes, neighborhood dogs, owls, hawks, etc.) Thanks for the suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by