HELP! ROSEBUD SKINNED-WARNGRAPHIC PICS **UPDATE***

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
PLEASEEEE Help me.... I have been keeping an eye on Rosebud lately.... and today... OMGoodness, I caught her and this is what I found. We put Peroxide and Triple antibiotic ointment on her. Is there anything else we need to do for her>????? Brought her in the house, she is in her own little hospital where she will STAY!!!!!!!!.... Here are the pictures.... WARNING GRAPHIC PICS BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a nice sized gash... and she is bare on most of her back. Does she have enough room?????
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
My poor Rosebud
hit.gif

Edited to add.... I feel like such a bad momma!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rosebudouch3.jpg

Rosebudouch2.jpg

Rosebudouch.jpg

rosebudcoop.jpg

Last edited:
Oh sweetie, you are NOT a bad momma. I have 1 in the hospital pen right now.....with the same ROOSTER DAMAGE!!! Better get a hold of those roosters spurs...I cleaned it up with wound flush..and applied neosporin...she is healing nicely! Yours will too!

Awww, i had the same thing happen to my duck.I gave her a bath, then put her in a seperate pen. I put the neosporin on it and I had a bottle of Amoxcillin on hand and put a bit into her water... it cleared up. I'm not sure on the dosage anymore since this was a while back but that is just what i did.... i'm sure someone like Diana or Wes could help you out. Good Luck!

Deb, thank you!!! I am just so upset!!! DH said he is going to take care of spurs as soon as possible!!! The gash, can't really see it but it kinda deep... do I need to put Neosporin all over the exposed area? How long will it take to heal. Do I keep her in there and in the house??? can I put her out on the porch in the "hospital" when it is nice outside so the others do not forget her???
barnie.gif
I have so many questions... I just don't know what to do... how often, when, ugggg.... Thanks Deb,.

Amoxcillin on hand and put a bit into her water...

I don't have any... would an asprin work??? how much... right now I have a bowl of water in there for her... need to wash a waterer for her.... Im so lost​

When my girls had the same thing I filled the hole up with Nrosporin everyday and sometimes at night. I wasnt so worried about dirt but more worried about flies. It will take a while but she will be fine. I also put peroxide on it daily for a while. Some wont agree with me, but she is fine now.
Tink

Last edited:
Despurring roosters is easy, much easier than I thought.

(You'll need some Stop-Bleed poweder and a pair of pliers.)

Hold the roo on his back, then take the pliers and gently twist the spur loose. Some people prefer to oil the spurs first, but I have not found this necessary. You'll be surprised at how easily they come off. Immediately pack the bleeding spur with the Stop-Bleed powder and put him in a quite place for a little while until the bleeding stops. They actually don't lose very much blood from it, and it doesn't seem to bother them very much. I'm guessing this is a natural thing, since spurs get broken off all the time when roos fight. (I've even had them get spurs caught on things and break them off on their own.) The spurs grow back pretty fast, so in a month or so, it will be replaced by a new small one.

(Darned Enter key!!)

What I was trying to get to is that if you despur your roo, you won't see injuries like this very often. I've had to do it to a few of my more amorous roos, and a couple of more aggressive ones. Your hens will thank you.
smile.png

Last edited:
That's not that bad.
hugs.gif

Just keep it clean and it will heal up. Maybe a saddle would be good for it to help heal. I had a hen once who's whole flap on skin over their back and thigh was ripped down from a coon. Flushed it and stuck it back in place and healed right up.

Hi Windy, Dont worry, you are not a bad momma, blame the roo. Diana comes on later as she is in a different time zone where she is but you will get some good help anyway.
I dont know all the products you have over there which is why I dont answer most injury posts.
Good luck, she will be fine, they dont look at pain like we do and she probably doesnt even know the extent of her ailment.
Relax Hon.
Hugs

Back
Top Bottom