HELP!! Rough Rooster Hurt Hen! What To Do!!! *graphic-ish photos*

Harli50

Songster
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Utah
My EE hen got tore up today by our sex-link roo. the wound is right on her shoulder under her wing and its DEEP. we have already made the decision to get rid of the roos. BOTH of them. But for now we need to fix her up. I've got her in a laundry basket untill i can get a big box to put her in. She is not freaking out to bad but seems a little bit calmer than her usual crazy self.

the wound when her wing is up

this is under wing but theres a flap of skin that lifts up and shows how deep it is. you can see her wing joint.

this is another shot of how big it is.

so i really dont want to cull. and I dont think its needed. im not sure if I can stitch it, but ill do whats needed.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd sew her up. Flush the wounds with a diluted betadine solution, fill them as best as you can with neosporin (no caine in it), and put her in a dark, dry, quiet, warm place to rest. Reapply the Neosporin twice daily and make sure the wounds stay clean. When it starts to heal, you can drop back to once a day.

I don't think I'd sew her up. Flush the wounds with a diluted betadine solution, fill them as best as you can with neosporin (no caine in it), and put her in a dark, dry, quiet, warm place to rest. Reapply the Neosporin twice daily and make sure the wounds stay clean. When it starts to heal, you can drop back to once a day.

That is just about what I did. except I used Epsome salt and warm water instead of betadine solution. I really dont know which one is better?
I thought my girl would need stitches, but she healed just fine without. I had this happen to 2 hen. and both healed just fine.

Epsom salts will work nicely... the only better thing about a betadine solution is that it will disinfect the wound. Maybe start with it, then continue with epsom soaks? Best of both worlds!

OK!! so im freaking out a little but i gave her a bath and put her in her box to dry off. the bedding is shavings. so when i went to check on her she looked like she was sleeping so i pulled her up to wake her up but she didnt wake up i thought she was dead. but i looked closer and she was breathing. but shes totally limp eyes closed. when i opened her eyes they were dilating. i have no idea what to do.

Back
Top Bottom