Help! Running out of options!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kPea, Oct 24, 2016.

1. kPea

kPea New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    I'm on bird #3 that's sick.

1st bird- 2yr Californian- we were moving so I didn't notice her sick until she was so bad off that I just culled her to ease her suffering. She was very puffed up, waddling, bad diarrhea and just sickly. It was sad.

Bird #2- Americauna- age unknown- this was a month after bird #1- diarrhea, lethargy, anorexia, I was at a loss on what it could be. Tried Corid and no luck. She died before I could try anything else. She went quick. Maybe 7 days?

Bird #3- Spotted Maran- age unknown. This is a month after bird #2...She's really social so when I noticed her just standing there when I went in to visit with everyone I started to be concerned. The next day she was pretty lethargic. Did a treatment of Wiz for roundworms, that was 5 days ago. No real improvement. She's still dumpy and eating is spotty. She'll drink some but not a ton. I got her to eat some of a strawberry and a few worms but that's it. Today she's refusing anything but seems a little more active off/on. I started Safeguar two days ago, still no improvement.

I'm just stuck... her poop is VERY watery. A little green but mostly clear/white with white/pale greenish color sprinkle sized specks in it.

Any advice?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wellcome to BYC. It is time to get a necropsy by the state vet or nearby poultry lab if you lose another one. There could be an infectious disease going through your flock. At the least, I would gather a few fresh samples of their droppings to get checked by your local vet for cocci and worms. Some hens will start to have reproductive problems after a few years, but 3 deaths close together may mean something is going around.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bambitracks

Bambitracks Just Hatched

Aug 4, 2016
    Hendersonville N.C
    Find out what it is and treat it as soon as possible. Getting professional help from a vet appears to be the only way to save your flock. Keep fresh hay or some bedding in the pen if you can. This is a great way to help keep healthy birds healthy and try to keep it as clean as possible. Isolate any sick birds or birds you feel may be getting sick. This sounds infectious. I am sorry you have to go thru this!

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Welcome to BYC, kPea.

It's possible you have a worm load in the flock... It's also possible they have something like internal laying or EYP going around. If it's worms, you might try worming with Valbazen, which treats for every worm a chicken can get.

I agree with Eggcessive... I'd take a fecal sample to the local vet and get them to check for parasites and disease. Even if they say, "We don't treat chickens," push back and little and assure them you only need the diagnosis. I hope they will help you.

If not, should your Marans pass, I would refrigerate the body in some plastic bags and see about getting them in for a necropsy. Your local vet should have more information on where to send it.

I am sorry for your troubles. :(

MrsB

5. kPea

kPea New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    Thank you everyone for the quick responses!

Update:

Today she's a bit more active, she even ran from me when I went in to do a physical on her to check for any new symptoms.

I separated her from everyone else today so I can monitor her food intake and her stools. In the house isn't an option (husband is a "its just a chicken" people, so I'd rather not pick that battle) so I have her in a dog crate on the porch with thick covering over it to keep heat in. Food has been hit or miss...So far she's eaten a little bit of tortilla (her fave!) and some rotisserie chicken. She's preferring me to hand feed her and when I'm not doing that she's wanting me to pet her while she eats (REALLY not like her, she's not one of my "hold me, pet me" girls). She's not eating a lot but I'll take what I can get!

I did notice her crop was really enlarged for how little she's eating and it feels like a water balloon and is the size of a kiwi. Very squishy. Any ideas on that? She did leak some fluid from her mouth when my husband had her tilted forward so I could look at her vent. I've never seen that before...

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    (Feeding chicken to a chicken??)

She could have am impacted crop... Notice a smell on her breath?

MrsB

7. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Yeah it defiantly sounds like a crop issue and I have had that go though my flock after they all drank some diareah water that was dripping from an isolation cage before I realised. I lost the original one in isolation but cured the other two by treating with oral thrush drops like you buy for babies. I gave no food on day 1 just the drops and then slowly introduced small amounts of easily digested food a few times through the day (partially cooked rolled oats and moistened pellets) with probiotic powder from the pet shop added to it.

Edited to add they did also get antibiotics from the pet store.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  8. kPea

kPea New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is new... they were just runny and white... how screwed is she? There's just so much going on I don't know what to try to tackle first! I had a plan yesterday to tackle sour crop..but now she's showing signs of EYP. Domino effect. Now which one is more important to treat!?

9. kPea

kPea New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

10. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    EYP is the e.Coli infection that results from internal laying, which is what it looks like she has.

EYP can be treated with enrofloxacin (Baytril)... You can get it from a vet (if they will treat chickens), or you can order it online. Using these types of antibiotics is always best under the direction of a vet, but dosing instructions are available on BYC, too.

http://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/p-2614-baytril-injectable-227.aspx

(I am not affiliated with Heartland Vet Supply, I just Googled it.)

To interrupt the laying cycle, immediately confine her some place dim, warm, and quiet. The issue with internal laying is that chickens usually lay an egg every day or so, so she's constantly depositing eggs in her abdomen making every thing worse.

Does her abdomen feel super squishy, like a water balloon?

The infection is also contagious, so separate her immediately and be on the look out for any others exhibiting these signs.

Also, disinfect all waterers and feeders with bleach ASAP.

I am very sorry for your troubles. :(

MrsB

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by