Help! Runny yellow & white stool, and lethargic chicken. Possible E.Coli infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tianacorri, Nov 8, 2014.

1. tianacorri

tianacorri New Egg

Apr 20, 2014
    Found one of my three girls hiding today, she isolated herself from my other two. Her bum had a little poo, and her poops are yellow/white and runny. She is pretty lethargic but still is alert and has an appetite. Whatever it is I think I caught it early.

I made her a mash of her organic feed with ACV and probiotics and electrolytes, and also put ACV, electrolytes and probiotics in her water. I also isolated her in an easy to clean large dog crate and bleached the area she was hiding in.

Is there anything else I can do to help her? What might be causing this? I read it could be an E.Coli infection, and that the hen will pass away after a day or so... All three were happy, healthy, good weight, alert and curious chickens yesterday. I'm worried about my girls!! The other two haven't showed any signs of being sick.

Also, I'm not sure if she's been laying or not. We're in the process of building a coop so they all share the same nest right now. Do I need to worry about the eggs? Will they be infected?

Thanks for your time, any help is appreciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. How old is the hen, and have you added any new birds recently? Can you post a picture of the droppings? Worms and coccidiosis could also be causes of her diarrhea. Has she had any problems with laying, or had any thin-shelled eggs? Are the stools bright mustard or sulfur yellow? Do he stools change color?

3. tianacorri

tianacorri New Egg

Apr 20, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome! I can post a picture of droppings tomorrow, I cleaned all of them up and it is dark out now. She'll be a year old in April. She hasn't had any laying problems and all eggs have looked healthy other than a little speckling. Stools are bright mustard yellow with white, and are runny but not liquid. I haven't seen stools change color yet. I found her this afternoon, she had hidden herself inbetween some plywood we have propped up against the house. She Had pooped about four or five times, all the same yellow/white runny consistency. Her bum had some runny poo on it, I can get a picuture tomorrow. I didn't clean because there wasn't a whole lot and I didn't want to add stress.

We did have a mouse problem, but I think it's been handled for about a week or so now. Haven't seen any evidence of mice. And all poisons were unaccessable to the hens.
    Thank you so much for your help!!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have seen very yellow cecal stools in a chicken occasionally, but cecal poops only occur about every 9 poops, and wouldn't be seen very often. Since she is only 7 months old, I wouldn't think that it would be E.coli unless she has been pretty sick with respiratory or internal laying problems. I would recommend that you take a fresh early morning stool sample into the vet and get it checked for worms. The best wormer is Valbazen which gets all chicken worms with one dose that is repeated in 10 days. Cecal worms are unusual in chickens, but can cause Blackhead or Histomoniasis, which usually affects turkeys and very rarely, chickens. Blackhead causes sulfur yellow stools. Rather than treat any of these things blindly, a stool sample check could save you worry and money from treating unnecessary problems..

5. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    Welcome to BYC, I think that the stool is normal, everynow and then I see it in my show chickens ,and just remember that they had a bit of extra water, so I think that it is okay

6. tianacorri

tianacorri New Egg

Apr 20, 2014
    I've been pretty lucky, they've all been healthy their whole life. We do have a flock of wild turkeys that graze through our field. I will get a stool sample and get it to a vet ASAP. Thank you so much for your help!!

7. tianacorri

tianacorri New Egg

Apr 20, 2014
    What is the norm woth worms and chicken eggs, are eggs safe to eat while chickens are on wormer? I suppose that would be a question for the vet, what what is the general rule of thumb?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With most wormers for chickens, there will be a 14 day egg withdrawal after the last dose, so with Valbazen or SafeGuard, it will be a total of 24 days. I believe with Wazine the withdrawal time is 17 days. Wazine does not treat anything but roundworms though, so I would recommend Valbazen.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    E.coli can be treated with an antibiotic like Baytril or Cipro, and maybe amoxicillin. Probably best to have a vet look at her and her poop.

Welcome to BYC.

-Kathy

10. tianacorri

tianacorri New Egg

Apr 20, 2014
    Thank you all for your help! [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of her poo. It isn't as vibrant yellow as it was yesterday. And if anything it's slightly thicker... She is still lethargic and pretty out if it. She'll hang out in one spot, and let me clean her bum up without a fight. If I stick her in the grass she'll graze and walk around, and she'll drink and eat her mash if I set it i front of her, but other then that she's kind of a zombie. I'll have to get a fecal culture tomorrow, all local vets are closed today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by