Mar 23, 2008
Illinois
drank earlier
not pasted up
perked up earlier then collapsed in brooder
eyes now closed

(typing with one hand)

Last edited:
gave raw honey in warm water (b vitamins)
peeping now but still limp
breathing without gasping

Last edited:
better muscle tone
eyes still closed
spasms in one foot
peeps occasionally
still giving honey water when she perks occasionally

Using both hands finally!

She's in a little nest I made for her in a bowl under a lamp beside me.

Although she was standing up fine when I put all the chicks into the brooder about two and a half hours ago, she can't seem to stand up now - she lurches backward and falls over again and again when she tries (but at least she has some strength and muscle tone back). A few times, she's wanted to get up and run around like a regular little chick but it just doesn't work.

She's had a poop and is taking some water/honey/yogurt with a few tiny specks of chick crumbles in but continues to keep her eyes closed 99% of the time and is still having mild periodic leg spasms.

Neurological problem? Maybe. I'm not really sure what to do. Your help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I sure wish I could offer some advice, but I have never had a sick chick so I don't know what to do. From your description, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a neurological problem.

Well, she kept calling for her friends so I put her little nest in the brooder, where she's chatting up a storm with everyone but still has her eyes closed and can't move around much. I'll be offering her honey/yogurt/crumble/water mixture every ten minutes or so and hopefully things will take a turn in one direction or another soon.

I know people talk about culling runts but as I see it, she's one of God's creatures and as long as I have her here, I'll do my best to keep her comfortable.

Well, it appears that she is both blind and lame. She'll take liquids held up to her beak but she hasn't taken anything solid.

I can't keep giving her fluids every 10-15 minutes indefinitely, so at some point I'm going to have to decide whether to give her liquids at intervals and let her starve (she can't see food, doesn't peck, won't accept it when offered, except for yogurt) or just to withdraw all fluids.

:|

Update:

Okay, she's not blind.
smile.png
She may or may not be lame as now she is able to take a few steps. Standing still is an issue for her as she keeps falling backwards. She may just be weak. I've been goading her that if she wants to run around like her brothers and sisters, she's going to have to eat more. She finally did a little bit of pecking (hours after everyone else started) and took in a reasonable amount of food. I will keep a jar lid with yogurt/chick feed in it next to her.

Of course, this sounds silly, but I believe that she wants to live as she threw herself out of the bowl in the brooder I had her nested in so that she could sit amongst her flock. A couple of her friends had hopped in to sit with her but they needed help getting out again - she took matters into her own feathers and jumped ship all by herself.

Oh - and her name is Camille.

I sure hope she turns into a stong little chickie !!!!!!

Come on little chick !!!!!!

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif