Help save my hatching baby!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Theapplechicks, May 14, 2011.

1. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    So there is this egg that my broody kept kicking out of the nest and won't sit on. She's on 4 others w/ 4 hatched and won't sit on this one so we thought it was a dud. We candled it and saw no movement so I figured it was dead an was going to throw it out. My daughter was curious so we decided to put a little crack in it to see if the chick was fully developed and died or never developed. Put a small hole in and it appeared the chick was formed but dead... THEN!!!! It starts moving! There is a small movement every little while. I now have it under a heat lamp since mama won't sit on it.... do you think it will be ok or is there something I should do now that I put a hole in it! The others started hatching 4 days ago so it should be ready.... What do you think? Help please?

2. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    moving to top...

3. TayFray!

TayFray! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Vienna, Maine
    I would help it hatch since it has been so long and if it is not right or messed up then you might have to do something with it, like give it to someone who would keep it and rehabilitate it or maybe you might have to cull it, Sorry hope its all ok, BUt I would help it along if I were you! [​IMG]

4. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    It didn't make it... Tried to help along and notice it wasn't moving at all now. Opened a little further and it had it's head at the bottom of the egg. There was also some yolk left. Not even sure it was full term?? [​IMG] Our first hatching casualty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by