Help save this sweet cochin pullet. Filled out the form and added pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mycutekitties, Dec 15, 2011.

1. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    I posted a little info a few days ago but I am still at a loss.
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) she is a bantam cochin 7 months old. Not laying yet. Average size (possibably thinner than the others her age).
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. She was totally 100% normal Saturday and my daughter took her to a youth poultry show and did showmanship with her. Sunday afternoon I noticed her in the corner of her cage (not normal) so I removed her. I took her out and she walked normally around the yard for a bit and then took a rest. I moved her into a diffrent area to be alone (I thought the rooster was being mean to her). Then that night I noticed she was in the same spot I put her in earlier. Thinking she may be egg bound I brought her in and and gave her a bath. She has been in my living room in a large dog crate ever since. She is totally alert and "talks" to me when I walk by. Her eyes are clear and normal. She can't walk at all and it looks like she does not have control over her wings. She lays on her side. She scoots to the food and water. She was vaccinated for mareks at 1 day old and given the fowl pox vaccine last month. She is the kindest bird we own and the ONLY bird my 5 year old has boned with. She takes her on bike rides, waggon rides and they explore together.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since Sunday Evening
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I have no idea
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She is on layer crumble and drinking fresh water through our automatic watering system.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. It's green but not runny. She never has green poop before.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Brought her in the house in a dog crate. The 1st few days I gave her warm baths thinking she was egg bound but she has never laid an egg so it was just a guess. Tonight I worrmed her as a last resort.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? We do not have any vets that will see her in this area so I'm on my own.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No wound but will post pics of her.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use- she is in a cage with 2 other cochins (1 roo and 1 pullet). The bedding is pine shavings
    This was her Saturday. 100% fine
    [​IMG]
    This was taken Monday morning. Unable to walk or use her wings.
    [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You are aware that the Marek's vaccine is only about 90% effective?

Could she have gotten access to anything rotted?

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I'm sorry she is so sick.. Is she eating and drinking? You say there is food in the cage, but is she still eating and drinking?

How is her crop? Have you "massaged her crop" and "massaged" her stomach (underside) with the "Eggbound baths" and all? Did you feel for an egg? Do the "oiled little finger into her vent" to stimulate and feel for an egg... gently so as not to break any egg you might feel inside her?

I don't know what the symptoms are for sure.. but, if an egg broke inside her.. she could get an infection and maybe it would be wise to give her some antibiotics for a few days at least.. such as the water soluable Duramycin 10 ( Tetracycline ). If she is drinking... or, by dropper / syringe if she is not drinking on her own. ( Being careful to avoid the windpipe / airway ... or just to dropper it at the side of her beak.. hold it up for her and let her take the drops... etc.. search "giving oral medications" if you haven't done it before ).

Good luck.. she's beautiful (and so is the little girl holding her!).... and I hope she makes it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Quote:Yes I am aware of that and no, I don't think she ate any thing rotten.

5. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Quote:she is eating and drinking on her own. Her crop is normal. I don't feel any eggs inside her.
    Thanks for the compliments. I am doing everything I can (that I know of). My kids are crushed and worried.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Lot of folks having intestinal worm problems with their chickens right now.

7. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Try some baby vitamins in her water (the one without iron). When I took a suspected mareks to the vet, she said that it is always worth trying vitamins just in case that is all the problem is. Could she have been injured by a child handling her roughly? Hope she gets better soon.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:It's been a soggy year for everyone but those in Texas and the Southwest. Soggy year=year of worms and cocci.

It's worth a try.

9. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    Green poop, or turquoise, usually mean they're malnourished. Is she eating now?

If she's had access to moldy feed it could be botulism. If she got into something toxic she could have those symptoms, too. Does she free range at all?

If she stopped absorbing calcium it could be Rickets. Her bones would get softer and you would be able to tell by looking at her toes.

If you're sure she's not gotten into anything she shouldn't then it could be something digestive like a previous poster suggested.

Wish I could give you a definitive diagnosis. Sometimes it's a process of elimination.

10. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Quote:Monday until today I did this. Now I have wormer in her water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by