Help says Goldilocks...someone`s been eating my eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mrs. Feathers, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi. I am hoping someone has a sugggestion for me.
    The last two times we have gone to collect eggs there has been a half eaten one and today two others had peck holes!!!
    We have oyster shell available to our gals at all times and they have a healthy varied diet (although not so much greens now it is winter) their shells are nice and hard.
    Suggestions for stopping this are much appreciated.

2. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've not tried this and am not sure how well it would work but, . . . I heard of a nesting box where the floor was tilted and covered with astro-turf.

Once the eggs were laid they rolled out of the chickens reach.

Also, I know you said you provide ostershells - but do you also feed the birds old eggshells ?

Feeding eggshells can teach them to eat their own eggs.

Best of Luck,

Xriva

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
  4. Mrs. Feathers

Apr 2, 2010
    No we do not feed them eggshells. I don`t even give my gals cooked eggs ....because I was afraid of them developing a taste [​IMG]
    It fortunately seems to have stopped. One of our youngest pullets laid her first egg (quite soft shelled) yesterday. I am thinking/hoping she may have been craving the extra calcium.
    We have the roll out next box construction in line just in case. Thanks for the link! We can probably adapt ours quite easily to a similar design as we built it as a pop out on the coop.
    Crossing my fingers it won`t be necessary though...don`t want any distractors from the delayed kitchen renos right now [​IMG]

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Your hens may have accidently stepped on an egg, broke it, and now

has the extremely annoying habit of eating the eggs. [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Occasionally I have found a half eaten egg. A few times I've seen a hen break an egg out of pure clumsiness. So far I don't have any egg eaters as such, that is, any that will purposefully break them to eat them. I've read of others on a few other threads who have had experiences similar to mine.

I've been lucky enough to watch as a broody hatched some of her chicks. She always ate the shell.

Just wanted to reassure you that a broken/eaten egg does not necessarily mean you have an egg eater on your hands.

7. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    do squirrels take eggs? My two EE pullets have been layingfor about 6 weeks. They'll lay two or three days ina row, skip an day, then lay again. Bossy runs for the spot in the morning, and then NO EGG later in the day. She acts like shey's laying... clucking and settling in. I have seen a squirrel up in the rafters, though. I have seen no signs of rats or anything else. But I think something is taking them. The other pullet Pook lays blue eggs later in the day, and usually I find hers. Any ideas?

8. Mrs. Feathers

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:Hmmm...don`t know about squirrels. The ones around my place are so well fed stealing the suet we put out for the birds that they probably wouldn`t go through the effort to steal eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by