Help! Scabs between toes and lesions and redness.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcucuzza, Jan 12, 2014.

1. mcucuzza

mcucuzza New Egg

Jan 12, 2014
    Can anyone help us identify and treat this problem. Our 16 week old green range during the day barred rock x is showing some problems on both feet. None of the other chickens in the coup show similar problems. The scabs are flat and scaly not raised. Here is a photo. [​IMG]
    Some of what is in the pic is dirt stuck to antiseptic spray that was applied today. Please let me know what you think. I can submit more photos if necessary.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I've not seen anything similar to that before, but maybe it is a type of scald from something she has stood in. Has it been muddy or does the coop need cleaning out? Could she have gotten into something chemical that did that? Any pecking from the others?

3. mcucuzza

mcucuzza New Egg

Jan 12, 2014
    It has been wet, but there is nothing chemical around to get into.. The coup is pretty clean and has pine shavings in it. We have 9 other chickens, none of them have anything similar. I looked at bumblefoot pictures, but the bottoms of here feet are clean and soft. This is only on the tops, in between toes. The other three chickens in her flock do not bother or peck at her/each other. She is the runt of the group and has been pretty slow growing...

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Warm soaks to the feet with epsom salts seem to help a lot of different conditions, and perhaps applying something like vaseline or castor oil that would stay on until the next soak might help. Keep posting in case someone else has seen this before.

5. mcucuzza

mcucuzza New Egg

Jan 12, 2014
    Thank you for the reply we will keep ointment and soaks going. Anyone else know what our chick may have?

6. mcucuzza

mcucuzza New Egg

Jan 12, 2014
    Just wanted to update this thread.

"Chips" our small white and black speckled hen appears to be doing a little better. She still has scabs on the webs between her toes, but they do appear to be getting better. We have been using Epicare Ltd's product, PoultryAid twice a day. The wounds do appear to be healing and she is still eating and drinking with the flock. She is considerably smaller and weaker than her sister (hatched the same day), but is hanging in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by