Help scalped hen!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robyn8, Dec 22, 2016.

1. robyn8

robyn8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    I just went to check close up coop and one of my hens is scalped. I assume the rooster did it. They are 5.5 months old so they are new to mating. We're putting her in the garage. Looks like it clotted already. What should I do?

2. robyn8

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. robyn8

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    Sorry horrible picture but I don't want to lift it up too much.

4. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    I would advise you to clean the would and put neosporin on it. Blu Kote is also a good choice. Also she needs to stay seperated from the other chickens for a while, so they won't pick at it.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    There's a simple trick to getting a large scalp wound to heal. You need to keep it clean and moist.

Twice a day, you need to cleanse the wound with mild soap and water. Using a cotton ball, clean the wound, wiping it gently. Then spray Vetericyn on it. Let dry. Then smooth on triple antibiotic ointment. If you want to leave her with the flock, you will need to paint the wound with Blu-kote and let it dry as step two before putting on the ointment.

If you do this twice a day for as long as it takes for the wound to close, no infection should occur. But if you get forgetful and don't keep the wound cleaned and moistened, infection may set in and healing will slow down or stop all together.

For photos and a run down of how I treated a chick with a severe scalp wound, see my article linked below this post.

6. robyn8

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    Ok thanks! I cleaned with Vetericyn and put her in the garage. I'll put neosprin on once it's dry. Should I get rid of my rooster? Is this likely an isolated incident?

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I would not keep a rooster that scalps a hen when he mates her. Most people here would concur.

8. robyn8

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    Ok thanks. The other issue is that I have an accidental rooster. I have a BO rooster and a silkie that was supposed to be a pullet. I thought he was a girl till about 2 days ago when he started crowing. They are all 5.5 months. The BO has been mating the girls for about a month with no issues. Do you think it's likely the silkie or BO? I'm going to try and watch them tomorrow and figure it out but I'm worried I won't be able to. The BO is super sweet to us and doesn't seem too rough the times we've seen him mate them. But the silkie is so small I'm surprised he could do that much damage. Any thoughts?

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
  10. robyn8

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    Thanks I'll check it out! I've accepted that one needs to go[​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by