Help! Second collapsed now! Red blotches! Kills FAST!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rin, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    EDIT: Okay somethings up, a second one went down and they have odd red spots on their face. What am I looking at here?

WENT FROM able to eat and walk and drink to DEAD in under two hours! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. Somebody help! Two died now with same sort of symptoms! D: ANYONE? before I lose my whole dang flock.

Apparently the red blotches fade after death which is why I didn't really notice before [​IMG] Blood vessel related? Is there a virus or disease that causes this?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I guess that is basically all you can do... if you can't get her to eat. You can try yogurt, chopped up egg, or just try to get water into her. If you can't get something into her, you are right, she doesn't have a chance.

D

3. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:[​IMG] I can try but I don't think she will. I hafta sorta shake her awake a lot and all shwll do is sit up and give me dirty looks.

4. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    The above suggestions are good, but I have something to add. I would definitely buy a bottle of iron-free polyvisol. It's a baby vitamin that can be picked up at your local health food store. Make sure it's iron-free!

You should rub the dropper along her mouth. Don't give up if she doesn't take it immediately, and don't force-feed it.

I hope she pulls through!!

5. Buugette

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:[​IMG] I can try but I don't think she will. I hafta sorta shake her awake a lot and all shwll do is sit up and give me dirty looks.

Poor little thing... she looks so sweet. Keep her warm and quiet... you never know. Do you have a small seringe that you can use to try to get something into her? Sometimes once they get a taste of something, they are more willing to eat. Have you tried to dip your finger in water and put the drop on her beak? Sometime they will take that little drop and get them started.

D

6. Buugette

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:They did try to give the poly-vi-sol... its in the first post... and I agree, to keep trying to get a drop or two in her.

D

7. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Oops, missed that part. Keep trying though!

8. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)

Poor little thing... she looks so sweet. Keep her warm and quiet... you never know. Do you have a small seringe that you can use to try to get something into her? Sometimes once they get a taste of something, they are more willing to eat. Have you tried to dip your finger in water and put the drop on her beak? Sometime they will take that little drop and get them started.

D

Think maybe if I get a lil bit of egg yolk/white in her beak that might perk her up? I have no syringe but m'terrified of making her aspirate something anyway. :<

Never mind. I went to check on her while the eggs were boiling and she opened her eyes. Stared right at me as she suddenly just streeeeeeetched out and vacated herself. Dead. [​IMG] Thanks everyone for trying.

9. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Okay somethings up, a second one went down and they have odd red spots on their face. What am I looking at here?

10. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Anyone? Red blotches? Looks almost like chicken pox or acne would on a human? on their eyelids, the skin around their beak, and comb?

This chick went from just acting sleepy(able to eat and drink and even walk) to completely limp and looks to die any minute now in LESS THAN TWO HOURS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by