Help Second Hen Sick! was Injured or Sick Hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by france, Oct 17, 2013.

1. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    I have a 3 yr old andalusian. She is walking around with her body all scrunched up and head pulled down. Her wings are hanging down some but not dragging. Her crest is totally laying flat on her head. She is making sad little noises. But she is eating and drinking and getting around fine. I noticed this the day before yesterday and then noticed she spent the night before last in the nest box. I will spare you with the events of my life starting shortly after seeing her but she was quickly put to the back of my mind. I have come back up for air and realized she is still doing this as of this morning. Any thoughts? Should I be looking for something?

Thank you!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Is she still laying? Does she have any swelling in her "belly" or underside, or does it feel fluid filled? Is there a lump near her vent, as of a stuck egg (eggbound)?

I would probably try worming with Valbazen if you have not given a chemical wormer in the last 6 months or so. Also check for lice/mites, which can overwhelm them if severe enough. (Valbazen is 0.5 ml by mouth on a bit of bread, repeat in 10 days, toss egggs for 21 days.) Worming can be rough on them when they are already sick, but again, a severe infestation can kill them. Valbazen to my knowledge is the safest in a severe infestation, because it doesn't tend to overwhelm their system with dead worms or toxins from them.

If she is not laying and has a swollen abodmen, it may be internal laying or ovarian cancer, which as you might expect, can't be cured.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818674/are-these-some-kind-of-egg-clusters/0_20#post_11897957

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ll-seeing-live-worms-in-poo/0_20#post_9315842

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-crd-parasites-are-rampant/0_20#post_7474271

I hope you are able to resolve this for her -- and that the rest of your life has cooled off!

3. france

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    Thanks for the reply! She is still the same. Though actually allowing me to come near her. My andalusians have always been very aloof so this is new. None of my chickens are laying now. Between the shorter days and finishing up their fall molt I have not seen an egg in two weeks. I do not feel anything odd but her back end is all messy. I am going to try deworming, its probably a good time of year.

4. france

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    My andalusian hen died yesterday. I found her in the run. She just slowly went downhill day by day. But now my other andalusian hen is showing the same symptoms! She cannot jump up, wings hang, scrunched up, messy bottom, just kind of sits in the corner except to eat. I got them both from the same hatchery at the same time. None of my other hens, all other breeds and ages, are exhibiting any symptoms.

Help!

5. france

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    My other andalusian is presently just about dead. I have no idea what is going on :( Thankfully the rest of the flock is fine.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    There is something going on. Have you introduced any new birds recently? Are they eating? Explain messy bottoms,do you mean diarrhea? Did you worm them as mentioned? The first thing that comes to mind is actually Coccidiosis,your girls are old for an overload/outbreak,but it can happen to older hens,this is why i was wondering about any new birds.

7. france

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    I have not introduced any new birds in two years, and then it was just chicks who were in another barn until they were big enough to be introduced to the flock. I have not been exposed to other chickens nor have other chicken owners been around my flock. My two andalusians were the least friendly of all so the least likely to be touched by someone. Also there are no chickens within a mile of my house and we are pretty rural. Our coop is large enough for twice the hens I have and so is our run.

Messy bottom, yes diarrhea.

I did deworm everyone earlier this week with Valbazen. I had to wait for it to ship to me. That produced no changes. I have not seen any evidence of worms.

I looked up Coccidiosis and you are right, that is what it almost sounds like.

The andalusian who is now almost gone was still eating up until yesterday and moving around, slowly but moving. Found her outside the coop more then once. Put her back only she leaves. So she fits the listless diarrhea but not the weight loss/loss of eating. I also see no evidence of blood or mucus in the diarrhea.

The only change I have made with the flock is allowing a lot more free range time. I used to limit it more but in Sept as they started molting and not laying I let them out of the run on most days now. My rooster was also re-homed.

Could my two andalusians have eaten something that no one else will touch?

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    With Cocci,there does not have to be blood in poop,only two strains have blood as a symptom. Cocci can be spread by wild birds,bringing it into your area on your own clothes/hands/shoes,etc. They have been checked for being egg bound? Are you familiar with vent gleet,might explain messy bottoms.

9. france

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    My second andalusian died. None of the other 13 hens are exhibiting symptoms.

I am due to deworm again this coming weekend. Still no signs of worms. I have added probiotics to their water and will give them some yogurt as a treat a few times over the next week.

I looked up Vent Gleet and like Cocci, could maybe be a possibility. With no other hens exhibiting symptoms then perhaps Vent Gleet? Wouldn't we see more Cocci if that was it? No evidence of being egg bound.

I will keep a close eye on the others and do what I can to keep them from catching anything.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by