Help! Seeking Guidance.. Not wanting to Jump 2 Conclusions..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThornyRidge, Jul 16, 2011.

1. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I have two hens that are around 3 years old that are not even kept in same area together (one resides in coop) and the other resides full time in my barn and roams the back yard. They both have mysteriously come down with somewhat similar symptoms.. the one being a bit worse than the other.. both have the clear bubble like froth in their eyes.. the hen in the barn is worse.. the hen in the barn had a crusty dried substance over part of her nostril.. not sure if it was discharge or actual mud/food build up.. but I cleaned it off tonight and noticed a smell to it/her.. not really describable.. just an off odor. the other hen has no nasal discharge.. both are eating and acting for the most part normal.. somewhat not as active but still clucking around and acting like chickens. I have a flock of various other hens and roosters and noone else is displaying this so far.. there have been no changes to my practice. no new birds, no visitors, no food changes, weather has remained same.. mostly warmer (NE Ohio).. cleaned areas out quite a while back.. so they are in far cleaner areas than during winter build up.. plus they are out roaming all day.. I do notice what seems to be some sneezing and head shaking from both hens also. as stated they both seem to be eating.. not sure if it as much as normal but are eating.. drinking too. the one hen I noticed that her poop output seems smaller.. she is a buckeye hen and her poop would be similar in size to small bird turds.. could be if her eating has declined. anyway wondering what to do.. not sure what or how they could have even caught something.. but I would rather be on safe side..

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Isolate both girls and start them on antibiotics. Sounds like a respritory problem. There are many things you can use, I have used TYLAN50 and AGRYMICIN.
    TYLAN50 is a good starter drug to use. Intramuscularly is the best most aggressive way to deal these things. LF .1.5ml once a day. I use[ insulin syringes] banty size .1.0ml.
    Put hen on her back and inject into the meaty part of the breast. Put electrlytes [w/out iron] in the water and feed alittle extra protiens to help boost their systems.
    Meds for 4 days, if symptoms still there 3 more days 7 days total. Another week of isolation and see what happens. If they are symptom free they can go back to life as normal.
    Watch to if anyone else gets any smyptoms.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    is there a preventionary type method of antibiotic treatment that I could use in water for all of them? how would they have contracted something like this with no new intros and no being around other birds at all?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Wild birds can introduce anything. I recommend denegard. Type 'denegard' in the BYC search box and read up on it if you wish. It can be purchased from QC Supply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by