Help Seeping egg in lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Granny Hoffman, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I have 15 eggs on day 20 in the hatcher, 3 are starting to pip and I noticed that one of the eggs has a spot of brown liquid on it. Is that considered a seeping egg that should be pulled out? This is my first hatch and I have heard of eggs exploding and I'm afraid of this one doing that and ruining my first hatch.

Thank you

2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I would quickly remove it. But use a paper towel or something to wrap it in carefully so it don't bust in the bator. You don't want it to bust at all. Been there, done that. It's horrible.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  3. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Thanks, should I wait a little because it's just a little dot right now? And can they go bad on day 20?

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    As soon as I detect a bad egg I remove it. It sends out bacteria you don't need floating around in your bator. The eggs are pourus and it can get in the other eggs. That and the last thing you want is a exploding rotten egg in your bator. Anywhere else for that matter.

I had one I was taking out once and we keep our shoes in a plastic storage tote, without a lid. Well.........it was right next to the bator and about the time I got the egg out and my had was just over the shoe tub and the egg exploded. Went right in on all the shoes. So not only did I have a stinking mess but I had to wash alot of shoes. Some had to be thrown out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by