1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Serama chick can't get off his back!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OCchickens, Feb 12, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Hi everyone - my little serama chick that hatched 1.5 hrs ago has been on his back struggling intermittently to get flipped over for about 20 min. I want so much to help him but am afraid to open the bator. Lots of eggs pipped not hatched yet.

Also wondering whether I should separate the seramas (there are 2 more not hatched yet) from the bigger chicks.[​IMG]

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I don't know what kind of bator you have, so I don't know if this would work. If it is one of the styrofoam ones with the holes in the top, maybe you can stick a straw in through the hole and help him get upright.

I know a chick shouldn't spend a lot of time on its back, but many of my chicks have not been real active right after hatching. It's exhausting work getting out of the egg. Sometimes they have to rest up.

3. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    He was up running around before he got onto his back.

thanks for the straw idea.

4. COChickens

COChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Hi! I just hatched a serama chick and it did the same thing and I left it in the incubator longer than the rest and a day later it's doing great running around and not on it's back anymore. I would keep him with chicks his own size till the chick can stay on it's feet and away from the bigger chicks.

5. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Glad to hear your serama's doing ok.

I don't think I can separate them just yet because no one seems dry enough to go in to the brooder yet.
    I'm late to go in to work in my daughter's preschool so I'm going to hope he does ok! [​IMG]

6. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Funny - I just noticed COchickens & OCchickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by