Help serama hen recover from mites, protein for sumatra roo?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilverPhoenix, Nov 3, 2011.

1. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    A friend/fellow BYCer gave me a tiny serama hen because she wasn't doing so well, and I have experience treating wildlife and fowl. I discovered she was completely infested with mites, and treated her with sevin dust. It wasn't my friend's fault or mine, neither of us have mites in our flocks, I think it was pre-existing and because she had been weakened by being shipped to him. I'll be treating her again once ten days have passed since the original treatment. She's already looking a little better after just the few days since being treated, but I was wondering if anyone has tips for helping her to recover faster. I'm thinking of putting some apple cider vinegar in her water, and maybe supplementing her with some vitamins, but I'd love recommendations of which vitamins would be best. Poly-vi-sol? Is there anything else I can do to help her perk up? Her feather quality is poor, and she's just starting to get color back in her face. She still sits there most of the time, and I keep her on an optional heating pad because it's getting a bit chilly where I live and she's just a teensy little girl.

I also have a bantam sumatra rooster who is around a year and half now, and yet he still doesn't have a tail! I think I need to boost him with some extra protein. I'd rather not feed him anything with meat in it, though, like cat food, as I just feel wrong doing that... Suggestions?

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
  3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:Oh, thanks! I saw some Nutri-drench at the feed store today when I went to look around and was thinking about picking some up, but at $11 for that small bottle I wanted to check with BYC and see if that's a good option first, or if Poly-Vi-Sol or something is better.

I'm hoping she'll bounce back! She is improving already, so that's a good sign, but I do worry it could have been something else that caused her to be weak enough to be susceptible to the mites. She's a few years old as it is and is more-or-less a micro serama, so I am worried that it could be some sort of serious issue like cancer. I guess it's just a matter of doing my best and waiting and seeing. [​IMG] She's such a cutie-pie, I'm really hoping she's going to recover and have at least a couple more years with me. Tiny seramas don't always live so long, but I want to give her the longest life I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by