Help! Serious eye injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ginznchix, Dec 23, 2012.

1. ginznchix

ginznchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    South Jersey
    One of my girls was attacked by a cat and suffered serious head injuries. I've been nursing her for four days, giving her tetracycline by dropper and trying to spoon feed her a little watered mash with crushed feed and egg yolk, although she takes very little.

My biggest question is if this is even worth it. I can see now that her outer eyelid may be gone on the one eye although the eyeball seems ok. If she can never close the eye again should I be saving her? The inner eyelid is working. Does anyone else have a chicken with no eyelid? I feel so bad for her. One of my nicest girls of course. Thanks for your help.

2. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    I have never had a chicken with battle wounds but I know some people have had success rehabilitating injured chickens. Successful recovery seems to depend on severity of the wounds and the vitality of the bird. I am not sure how badly injured your bird is after the attack. If only her eyelid was injured it may be ok. Birds have an outer eyelid and an "inner" nictitating membrane. The nictitating membrane keeps they eye moist and free of debris and offers some protection to the eye. If the nictitaing membrane is still intact and functional it seems possible that her eye will be ok, if a little more vulnerable for loss of the eye lid.

I hope that helps. Best wishes for a successful and speedy recovery!

3. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
  4. ginznchix

ginznchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    South Jersey
    Thanks! She's slowly improving, just started eating by herself today. I think she can see and the inner lid is working. If she can get over some other issues she may be ok. Her balance is off, she sometimes falls to the right when she tries to walk. I'm worried about a brain injury but time will tell. I'm going to give her every chance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by