Help! Seriously sick chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CinnamonQueen12, Aug 12, 2011.

1. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    I have a chicken that is being treated for bumblefoot with antibiotics and anti-inflamatory. Just this morning I noticed that all she wants to do is sit under the coop and do nothing. She hasn't eaten all day exept for the yogurt that we gave her this morning. Her crop feels empty and squishy. We were thinking of giving her oatmeal with some garlic in it. Would that be alright? Also, she hasn't laid any eggs for a while since she got bumble foot. Could this be egg binding? Does anyone know what this illness could be and how to treat it?

2. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    Also, she has been pooping green poop. I'm not sure if this is because of the medicine, but like I said, I'm not sure.....Someone please help! I just can't loose my baby!

3. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    Can someone please help???

4. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Is her crop squishy and gassy? Like a balloon?
    I had a lovely girl stop eating, laying, and then eventually pass because I didn't realize she had sour crop soon enough. She didn't have any other health issues though...good luck with your girl. Hope somebody else chimes in.

5. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    I'm very sorry to hear that. [​IMG] But what is sour crop and how do you treat it?

6. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
  7. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
  8. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=404339
    Link
    to the thread I started... I never finished it out...I could be wrong, but sour crop happens when "bad" bacteria take over the crop and create gases, etc... not to be confused with a different crop issue that I can't recall the name of- where the crop basically clogs and needs to be cleaned out.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:If you feel your chickens crop in the morning it should be rather flat and empty, after eating and foraging all day it will be full, but if your chicken isn't eating and the crop is full and has a bad smell coming from her mouth then it could be sour crop. I give my chickens and ducks a tab. spoon of ACV i n their water daily this helps to keep the crop from becoming sour. 1Tab. to 1 gallon of water. Unlees you know for sure though I wouldn't do anything in this link I am going to give you as far as treatment. especially with everything else thats going on with her. How long has she been on the antibiotic and did you treat the bumble foot or a vet?
    http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/Chicken_a/chicken-crop/sour-crop-chicken.php

10. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Quote:It's called a compacted crop [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by