Help settle an argument about price of baby chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by whasittoya, Feb 2, 2011.

1. whasittoya

whasittoya Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Hi BYC community, I'm new and I have a question for you,
    my dad and I are having a debate about the price of chicks.
    I know this probably varies by region (I'm in California where everything seems expensive) but I think $4.00/chick for Ameraucana and barred rock chicks is not crazy- my dad remembers getting chicks for free in the old days and thinks this is outrageous. Am I crazy?
    Thanks,
    Maggie

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    That doesnt sound unreasonable, are you sure the Ameraucaunas aren't EEs though?

3. whasittoya

Feb 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I'm going to see them this weekend- but they were touted as Ameraucana's in the ad.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, I'm in California and 3-day old chicks at feed stores (pullets) generally run about $2.25 to $2.75, depending upon the breed.

From breeders, $4.00 is a good price for a chick, particularly if it's a little bit further along, say, 3 to 8 weeks old.

5. whasittoya

Feb 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Awesome, thank you so much for the info.

6. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I thinks its a good price from a breeder, but I wouldn't pay that much for a hatchery chick.

7. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in the urban part of Southern California. $3 is average for a hatchery chick around me.

The feed store prices around me:
    Midway City Feed= $2. This is the cheapest I have seen.
    Blacksmith's Corner= Bantams $12.95, $4.99 Barred Rock, RIR, Leghorn. Varied higher prices for other large breeds.
    Kruse's Feed = $3.25
    Pomona Feed and Fuel = $3 (what I paid for a Buff Orpington chick 2 years ago.)

8. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Quote:I don't think $4.00 is out there. If you factor in the shipping and any taxes on hatchery orders, you can easily go over $4.00 per chick. I'd actually rather pay $4.00 from a trusted breeder than a big hatchery any day.

9. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Tell your dad "A Penney for your thoughts used to be fine, but it's 2011, and now it will cost a dime." I'm sure that everything used to be cheaper, $4.00 for a chick is reasonable depending on it's age and condition. I sell EE chicks 1- 4weeks $5.00, 5-10 weeks $7.00 after that $10.00.

10. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    $7.50 a chick here. >_<

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by