Help settle an argument with DW please

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DigitalEd, Aug 7, 2010.

1. DigitalEd

DigitalEd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Upstate SC
    So, we've got 8 EEs that are almost 5 weeks old. In a month or so we are planning on a weeks vacation. The question is what do we do with our birds that'll be about 9-10 weeks old at the time.

The facts:
    We have a tractor based on this design: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=3402-Portable_Coop (we added a coop door also)
    Our run is 5x10 PVC with 2x4 inch welded wire with an open bottom. It is staked to the ground also. It was not our intent to have it night time fortified.
    The run detaches from the coop part to make moving it easier.

Assuming we can't find someone to open the coop door everyday and close it every night, we see we have two options:
    1) Fortify the run (add a skirt that goes out 18-24 inches and put some pavers all around to hold it down, etc) and leave the coop door open. Perhaps even add an electric fence around it all.
    2) Move the whole setup into the garage and put 3 inches of pine shavings down in the run and leave the coop door open. We can probably have someone stop by every couple of days or so to check on them.

Which would you choose and why? Or are there other better options?

----- Ed

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Option #2! Id do that for their safety and My peace of mind!!! sounds good

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What sonew123 said.

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Well, I don't know about leaving them in the garage. The birds will need the sunshine. It would be a safe place for them.

You are going away for a week. I really hope you can get a neighbor to open the coop.

I think if you just secure the coop a little bit I think the birds will be fine. They are young and will go inside as soon as it starts getting dark. Have someone check on them when you can. Make sure they have plenty of food and water. Water is always tricky since it gets knocked over.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I might add leave the light on for them too:)

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I agree with Sonew and would have no problem leaving them if someone could just check in every other day and make sure the waterers and feeders are full. Mine fill up with shavings 5 mins after I give them fresh water... silly birds.

7. DigitalEd

DigitalEd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Quote:I might add leave the light on for them too:)

I'd park the run in front of the window. It's not direct sunlight but would give daylight. I had the brooder parked there when they were about 2 weeks old (so hot here didn't need a lamp).

I have some nipple waterers so having them tip over and dirty the water isn't a problem.

----- Ed

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I agree with SoNew as well. At least this way, you will know for sure they will be alright. [​IMG]

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Garage, Garage, Garage...oh and did I mention that the Garage would be the best choice? If your temps have been as hot as ours here, you may want to put a fan in there to move the air around. My garage stays pretty cool but I have been in some that feel like an oven.

10. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    yes Garage,Garage, if you get bad rain storms, if you could leave a window open make a frame of hardware cloth to put in window garage in case of power go off. triple the food a water.a timer that has light n radio on it. hmm will they be spoil if i have them lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by