HELP!! Severe Injury!! Graphic pics!

muscovy94

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
Hey this morning when I went to let everyone out I noticed one of my peacocks wasn't acting right and so I looked at him closer and found that he had a huge HOLE under his beak and his tongue was sticking out of it!! What can I do??? I'm kinda freakin out right now! ANYS SUGGESTIONS? Here are some pics:

18360_peacock_injury_011.jpg

18360_peacock_injury_012.jpg

18360_peacock_injury_013.jpg

18360_peacock_injury_014.jpg

18360_peacock_injury_019.jpg

OMG. Poor thing. I have no idea as this is not my area of expertise but I hope someone has some ideas for you.
Best wishes. Keep us posted.

That dont look good!! Im no expert at all, but i would think some sort of antibiotic on there would be OK for now until you figure out what to do. The antibiotic should help to fight any infection that could occur.

Have you tried calling a vet?

Wait till Deerman see this thread....he should know what to do or at least where to start!!

I'm going to hazard some farm medicine advice from just my own opinion.

That said, you'll need to get that tongue back in. Squirt water on it and try to help it pull it in and perhaps it will go back in its normal channel. Until you do get it back in, you MUST keep it moist!!

Keep the whole area covered in neosporin.

Poor baby!

there is a tear in the skin under the beak.....first if not able to do it yourself take to a vet. Really not that hard, get some thread ...stich it back closed, my guess about 6 stiches or more, then neosorin. Make sure you put enought stiches so no hole for the tongue to come out.

remove the stiches after 10 days.

I did see an adult at an auction that was like that, he was living fine with a hole there, still look odd to see it's tongue come in and out under the beak.

The answer to this problems is EASY!!!

TAKE IT TO A VET!!!

Frankly I'm horrified that you have to ask what to do. Do not attempt to stitch it yourself. Would you like to be stitched up without anaesthetic? No, of course not. Take it to a vet.

Last edited:
Clean the area well, push back the tongue and either stitch it up or use skin glue, making sure not to glue the tongue. Apply neosporin or the similar.

impis - many vets do not treat peafowl or chickens.... so some people have to improvise.

I have stitched up chickens etc... and it seems that although it may be painful, they don't seem to feel it the same as we do, almost like they have a pain blocking system or something. If I can take it to a vet, I will but many times the vets know less than I do. I had to stitch up my horse last year, at 11:00 at night, in the chicken barn with little light, on a weekend, no lanocain,... just ice, a quilting need and fishing line and some antiseptic and a pair of pliers. Vet was 2 hrs out, so I was on my own. He stood their like a champ while my husband fed him cookies and I stitched up his chest. Did it hurt........... I'm sure, but less than if it was left open and got infected. I'm just glad he likes his cookies so much....... : )

Back
Top Bottom