1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Severly injured (pecked) hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bchicky, Aug 1, 2011.

1. bchicky

bchicky New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    I have a Australorp hen who has a gash (for the lack of a better word) that runs from her ear to the back of her head. I think she was pecked. It is really bad. I will try to post a pic of it. Does anyone know what to use to doctor the wound? I don't think there is any skin left over most of the wound. Any help would be appreciated. I believe I have isolated the main one.

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Rinse the area with saline. Glob antibiotic ointment on the gash, keep applying it. Eventually the skin will grow back. Keep her where flies can not get at her.

3. bchicky

bchicky New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I have mooved her inside our screened in area where she was kept as a chick. Flies will have a hard time getting in there. Will keep doing as you have suggested. Thanks for the reply.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

You would be surprised how much a chicken can take. My goose beat up one of my chickens really bad, huge deep wounds across the back and the back of the head, I took her to the vet thinking she needed to be sewn up, the vet felt it was better to leave the wounds open. To this day she is fine. We call her bent tail cause her tail feathers came back in bent to the right. Its strange. Chickens are really tough!! Just make sure you keep her seperated from the others (they will peck) and put antibiotic oint. on it and I bet she will be just fine!![​IMG]

5. binky

binky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    I'm really glad to read the response. I have a nine-week old Gold-laced Wyandotte whose tail feathers were not growing in properly, and literally half her tail got pecked off. Poor sweet thing. She's starting to feel at home in our house. She likes to hop up onto our dryer and fall asleep. I'm just keeping her separate until she heals. I wonder if she will have trouble re-integrating with the flock when she returns.[​IMG]

6. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    I always us that blue lotion its a wound dressing and antiseptic. It keeps the other chicks from bothing the wound.

7. bchicky

bchicky New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    I am really surprised at how quickly she is healing. We give her scrambled eggs every now and then. My kids have renamed her Munchkin. They say she is sweet even though she has holes in her head. She loves being held and now comes to us when the kids come to the pen (of course they bring her treats and let her roam about the room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by