Help Sex day old barred rocks?

familypendragon

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
DFW Metroplex in North Texas
I have read enough to get seriously confused... any guesses on the sex of my 3 new barred rock babies?

I think girl

I think Boy

I think Girl

So that would be two girls at the top and a boy looking at us

Girl Boy Gril

Boy in front Girls in the back

Opinions?

Last edited:
two males and a female. The one with the smallest amount of white on the head is the female. It is best to wait until the birds are older then look for secondary sex characteristics. Comb size is a good early indicator.

Tim

Well, I hate to contradict Tim, but I do think you may have two pullets. The black on the leg fronts is another indicator in addition to the head spot. BUT, remember that these sexing rules sometimes will lead you wrong, in 5-10% of the cases. My very first BR pullet had 100% cockerel coloring and she lived to be the mother of many chicks. Sexing BRs is more an art than a science and if you've raised a ton of them, you get a sense of who is who, regardless of the color sexing rules.

Leg wash if it goes all the way down usually means pullet. If it is sketchy/skips a lot, it can be a cockerel.

The only foolproof method is the "Wait and See" method, lol. I've raised a lot of BR chicks and only been fooled a couple of times (pictures alone are misleading at times).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom