1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help! sex gold cuckoo marans!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by triplejfarms, Sep 29, 2011.

1. triplejfarms

triplejfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    need some help sexing these lil cuties, are the girls the black ones or brown?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. triplejfarms

Mar 7, 2011
    hello??? anyone???[​IMG]

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Honestly I didn't respond because I don't know what to say - The brown marbled ones aren't what a Golden Cuckoo should look like, more, what a Crele should look like - The black and white ones look more like a Blue Cuckoo or something.

Any barred bird should be sexed by the size of the white dot though, not the color.

5. triplejfarms

Mar 7, 2011
    Quote:the last ones i got from a different breeder the males what lighter and the female was typical barred black with dot on head, now these have thrown me off with the brown?

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    The brown ones interest me. Do you think they will grow up barred also?? You will have to keep us updated with pics.

7. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you ask the people you got the eggs from?

8. triplejfarms

Mar 7, 2011
    Quote:a friend got these for me i will have to get her to ask them.

9. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Quote:x2 they don't look full golden cuckoo, maybe mixed with something...

However with golden cuckoos in general, the lighter blonder chicks are usually male and the darker brown are usually females.
    Look through this thread and you will see some pics of baby golden cuckoos and read what people say about them. This is a pretty good thread about golden cuckoos. Look on pasofinofarm website (one of the thread posters) and click on poultry. You will see some nice examples of adult golden cuckoos as well that you can compare yours to when they grow up.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=119871&p=1

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  10. aChickted

aChickted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Washington
    I have seen a HUGE variation amongst "Golden Cuckoo" marans.......... I don't think they are very well developed in the USA like they may be in France. I have also not really been able to find much/any info online about what chicks look like, if you can feather sex, etc. Being that they are like silver cuckoo's but different, I wouldn't expect the chicks to look exactly like silver cuckoo marans, so maybe the brown are golden cuckoo. I have had the same type of chicks hatch from pure golden cuckoo marans but they aren't mature yet.

Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by