HELP! SEX LINK QUESTION!

cherrychicken

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
ok so we got 2 little red sex links at the feed store about 3 months ago. we thought that w/ sex links it wads easy to tell the gender? but im almost positive that one is a roo b/c its comb is about an inch and a half tall and its only 3 months old! clue me in!

Pictures would help....

Combs and wattle sizes vary greatly from breed to breed - some are huge at 3 months even in pullets, others not so. And it varies widely between individuals of the same gender and breed.

We have 4 RSL's that are 18 weeks old, and out of the 4 , 3 have very large , very red combs and wattles. The 4th one, her comb is half the size and only pinkish. We're getting 3 eggs a day, and the 3 with the large red combs are the ones who will "squat" when I go near them. And the one with the not so big and red comb was seen sitting in the nestbox the day we started getting 3 eggs instead of 2. So, I have to assume that they are, indeed females.

Yes, if we hadn't known our red star Rita was for sure a girl she would have been a boy for sure! Here's a pic at 6 weeks(whiteish-orange one):
6weeks

and 19 weeks (red-orange, compare to Pheobe the BR!)
combs

With sex links you look at the color. Red and gold sex link females are reddish buff with white accents, males are white with a few red/black feathers.

Female

Eve.jpg

Male (pic from feathersite.com)

Eric8Mos.jpg

I was worried about some of mine being roos also when I got them b/c one or two had combs that seemed bigger then the rest. But after a short period of time their combs/wattles seemed to just plateau. Now, 16wks later, I'm sure that I have all hens. Maybe this will be the case for you too!

Back
Top Bottom