HELP! SEX LINK QUESTION!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cherrychicken, Aug 8, 2008.

1. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    ok so we got 2 little red sex links at the feed store about 3 months ago. we thought that w/ sex links it wads easy to tell the gender? but im almost positive that one is a roo b/c its comb is about an inch and a half tall and its only 3 months old! clue me in!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Pictures would help....

Combs and wattle sizes vary greatly from breed to breed - some are huge at 3 months even in pullets, others not so. And it varies widely between individuals of the same gender and breed.

3. cherrychicken

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    i'll look to see how to download pics

4. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    We have 4 RSL's that are 18 weeks old, and out of the 4 , 3 have very large , very red combs and wattles. The 4th one, her comb is half the size and only pinkish. We're getting 3 eggs a day, and the 3 with the large red combs are the ones who will "squat" when I go near them. And the one with the not so big and red comb was seen sitting in the nestbox the day we started getting 3 eggs instead of 2. So, I have to assume that they are, indeed females.

5. cherrychicken

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    thanks!

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Yes, if we hadn't known our red star Rita was for sure a girl she would have been a boy for sure! Here's a pic at 6 weeks(whiteish-orange one):
    [​IMG]

and 19 weeks (red-orange, compare to Pheobe the BR!)
    [​IMG]

7. cherrychicken

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    thanks! im sorry if i caused anyone trouble since this had to be moved

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

With sex links you look at the color. Red and gold sex link females are reddish buff with white accents, males are white with a few red/black feathers.

Female

[​IMG]

Male (pic from feathersite.com)

[​IMG]

9. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I was worried about some of mine being roos also when I got them b/c one or two had combs that seemed bigger then the rest. But after a short period of time their combs/wattles seemed to just plateau. Now, 16wks later, I'm sure that I have all hens. Maybe this will be the case for you too!

10. cherrychicken

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by