Help sexing 3 new chicks - 1 mixed, 1 lemon cuckoo orp, 1 mottled java

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hmbelk, Aug 29, 2016.

1. hmbelk

hmbelk Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    I would love your opinions in sexing these three chicks.
    Chick 1 - a mixed breed (father is splash laced red wyandotte, we believe the mother is my speckled sussex)
    date of hatch 8-9-16 so 3 weeks old now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 2 - Lemon Cuckoo Orpington pics taken today 5 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 3 Mottled Java - pics taken today 5 weeks old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

The Orpington and Java both look to be cockerels, but I'm not sure about the mixed chick. Given its comb type, I personally think it might take a couple more weeks before we're able to tell.

~Alex

3. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2015
    Running Through the Woods
    Agreed

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

5. hmbelk

hmbelk Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Thanks for the help. Sure hope we don't end up w/ all cockerals. I certainly don't need any more of those! lol The mixed breed one was hatched by my Australorp. Only two eggs hatched and then one chick died. I purchased the orp and java chicks from a friend so my mixed breed chick wouldn't be lonely. (I had to take him from the broody hen because I didn't have a separate pen for her and the other hens were attacking the chicks).

As fun as it is to watch them grow and change it's frustrating that I keep ending up w/ cockerals everytime I get chicks. You put so much work and money into these chicks only to have to sell them in the end (or give them away as is often the case w/ cockerals). This pretty much confirms that when I order from the hatchery I'll be ordering pullets rather than straight run.

6. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're so welcome! Straight run is definitely an interesting situation, especially when you're worried just how many cockerels you ended up with. (I've been there [​IMG])

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by