Help sexing 5.5 week old Ameraucanas!!!!!

blondie34

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Grand Rapids, OH
Hello friends!

I'm new to raising Ameraucanas and I got a batch of pullets from a hatchery with my other chicks this Spring... they're around 5-6 weeks old now and two of them are a little questionable to me! Please take a look and tell me what you think!

The wheaten looking one (Chick #1) is extremely adventurous and has a larger pea comb than the other Ameraucanas ... the dark one is also pretty adventurous and does a lot of chattering like one of my other cockerels..

Any help would be much appreciated! Hopefully I'm just being paranoid and they are indeed pullets!!!!

CHICK #1 "Hannibal"

CHICK #2 "Bear"

Both are very sweet birds and love to nap in my lap... I would love to keep them even if they turn out to be cockerels but I already have the max number of roos per my groups of hens
hmm.png

SO what do you think... boys or girls?!?

For Hannibal, I would say its a hen. For Bear, Im not exactly sure, because I thought I saw wattles, but Im not sure, the other pictures look like a hen to me

they are easter eggers and the first is a cockerel and the 2nd looks to be a pullet for now
Thank you very much! I've been reading up about the difference between the breeds... can you please tell what the "giveaways" are that make you think they are EE's? I ordered Ameraucanas
he.gif
but this is what I got

and hopefully does Bear turns out to be a pullet!
fl.gif

Hatcheries rarely sell true Ameraucanas... you will know if they're pure by the exorbitant prices. What hatchery did you get them from?

First one looks like a roo, second one looks like a pullet so far (I have a few girls with coloring that is exactly like that).

Hatcheries rarely sell true Ameraucanas... you will know if they're pure by the exorbitant prices. What hatchery did you get them from?

First one looks like a roo, second one looks like a pullet so far (I have a few girls with coloring that is exactly like that).
that makes me feel a lot better that the second one may still be a pullet... I got them from Mt Healthy.. and it will probably be the last time I order from them as well
sad.png
quite a few DOA .. I'm switching back to Cackle next year!

I agree the first is a roo and the second a pullet. The first one has a larger/darker comb than my 3mo old EE.
From my understanding an EE is an Americauna that is not the an approved color or one that won't breed true (or a mix). Most of the hatcheries call their EE an Americauna because it sounds better and because that's the genetic line.

Back
Top Bottom