1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help sexing 56 Melanistic Mutant Pheasant chicks? anyone?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ChickGirl6, Jun 11, 2011.

1. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    I just got 12 Melanistic Mutant Pheasant Chicks and I was wondering if someone could tell me if the boys and the girls look different or not? I got six with the white on the head and six with no white on the head. They are Straight Run. They are about a week old.
    [​IMG]
    Here they all are
    [​IMG]
    And this one is my favorite.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    My 12 has turned into 56 as I just brought home 44 more pheasant chicks. I don't know what I'm going to do with 56 Melanistic mutant pheasant chicks but seeing as the 44 were free I couldn't say no.

3. pheasantfreak

pheasantfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    their so cute

4. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    There's not really any distinguishing features at this point. In a few weeks when they are feathered (give or take) they start to show some signs.... The males face patch will look more prominent than the females. And if they're the real dark colored ones, which they look like at this point, the females will have some tiny dark brown flecks showing up in the neck feathers area, and the males will have more irridescent green/blue color starting to show around there. Sometimes the males' spurs will start to look a little more prominent at taht point....but that becomes a lot more prominent just a little later on.

That's my experience with mine anyways.

5. showmesilkies

showmesilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Central Missouri
    My Coop
    Came across this post and thought for interest sake I would ask a question. Did you find out if there was a difference in sex comparing the chicks with white on the heads v.s. the ones without? They sure are cute!

6. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    free, darn lucky

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    No this doesn't have anything to do with the sexes.You should be able to sex them around 2 months old.The males patch around the eye should start to show by then.
    In N.H.,Tony.
    Quote:

8. pheasantfrenzie

pheasantfrenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Man I wish I could fine a deal like that. Anyone need to get rid of pheasants call me or email me. I live in Colorado. 970-596-7560

9. chickenguy222

chickenguy222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does this look like a male/female pair of pheasants? I'm guessing the top head (in the head photo) is the female and the male is on the bottom. In the 2nd picture, the one I think is the female is feathering in faster and has the iridescent and brown feathers coming in. They are around 8 weeks old.

10. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That's what I was thinking also.
    That's what I was thinking also.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by