Help Sexing 7 week old Blue Andalusians and EEs (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SueBaby, Jul 18, 2011.

1. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    We are the foster parents of six 7 week-old chicks. Unfortunately we can only keep two, so it’s important to us to figure out who is a pullet and who is a cockerel. Can you help? I tried to get good shots of their combs and a side view. Some were easier to take than others. I'm so appreciative of any input.

This is Sprinkle. Since Blue Andalusians have large combs as adults I am hoping she (and her sister) really is a she???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Sparkle, a BA & Sprinkle's sister. My kids named them. :) I think pullet. Also, would you call this color splash?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Smokey, an EE. I think she's a pullet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Ginger, an EE. I think she's a pullet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Squawkito, an EE. My boys think it's a cockerel, I think pullet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last is Goldie, an EE. So beautiful, so friendly, so of course he is looking to be a cockerel. Sigh.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I can't help with the Andalusians (I have no experience with them). But the first 3 EEs look like pullets. The last one is definitely a cockerel.

That really stinks that you can only keep 2 though... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. SueBaby

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Thanks for your input, Lothiriel. I'm breathing a little bit easier. [​IMG]

Calling Blue Andalusian experts! Help! I was hoping for feedback on the BAs the most. If they are both cockerels it changes my whole game plan. Please help if you can, my constant state of wonder is making me crazy (and keeping me up at night!)! [​IMG]

4. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    I have 10 week old BAs and none of mine have combs like yours. The first one is a roo for sure when compared to my females. The other ones are hard to tell without a side view of the waddles.

5. LostGosling

LostGosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    You definately have a Blue Andalusion pair. [​IMG] You'll need to be changing Sparkles name to Sparky, lol. Goldie also appears to be a male, but I can't tell on the other EEs. The best I can tell though they appear to be females. Hope I helped! [​IMG]

6. SueBaby

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Diamond Peahen, do you mean pair of BA cockerels or a pair as in one male and one female? Rosegal, if both BAs have wattles that look like the first one then they're roos for sure? Oh, dread. I really wanted to keep one BA. Boo Hoo! [​IMG]

7. KarenS

KarenS New Egg

Sep 30, 2017
    I know it's a bit late but I'm struggling to find much about BA and typical sexing characteristics so I'm interested to know what the sexes of the BA's were?

8. LilJoe

LilJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2016
    Goldie is a cockerel for sure! :(

9. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    The OP has not been on since 2013. The mystery may never be solved.

10. TexasSam

TexasSam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2017
    Weatherford Texas
    LOL
    Just for fun the first two look like pullets and the rest look like cockerels. Maybe one day she will come back on and tell us.
    :$

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by