Help sexing a 4wk old chick - PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tendriana, Mar 21, 2011.

1. tendriana

tendriana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Roseville, CA
    Hi everyone, new chicken owner here.

I was hoping someone could help me figure out if one of my chicks is a roo.

All three of my chicks are 4 weeks old. I have one SL Wyandotte, one RIR, and one Ameraucana.... errrr Easter Egger. They were all sold as pullets that had been vent-sexed, though I know there are no guarantees.

My concern is that while all three are getting their combs in, the SLW is much redder. All the chicks are the same size body wise, and the combs are pretty much the same size. Because I don't have another Wyandotte to compare to the one chick, I'm not sure if maybe SLW just get redder combs while other breeds at the same age are still tan. I can't really tell the difference between "Pointed" feathers and "Rounded" Feathers. Maybe I can take some more pictures tonight and post them for others to look at. All three chicks are about equal in terms of feathering. Based off what I've read here today, I'm going to more closely examine the SLW tonight and see if she has any bald spots that the others had already filled in. Also, I don't know if this makes any difference, but the SLW tends to perch more than the others, and while the other two are scurrying around pecking at food, the SLW stretches up curiously to check me out. Dunno if maybe this is just her personality... or if it means she's a roo!!

Any ideas? More pics to come tonight.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. tendriana

tendriana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Roseville, CA
    Whooops just saw the Gender/Sex forum. I will repost there. Sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by