Help Sexing Americaunas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dirge337, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Dirge337

Dirge337 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    Hello! I know the pictures arent great. They wont hold still! I need help identifying if they are male/female. They are about 19 weeks old and i havent seen any eggs. Ive done my research and they say they dont lay until about 26 weeks old. Anyway! ny help identifying sex would be great! I Have 7 total

Thank You!

The first two0 I think theyre female?

[​IMG]

One on its own

[​IMG]

Group of 4
    [​IMG]

Better shot of the first two
    [​IMG]

Light brown one in the back
    [​IMG]

Group with the two black ones

[​IMG]

Im not sure what to look for in Americaunas so any identification on any of them would be helpful.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

You have all pullets. In Ameraucanas, you want to watch out for tall bodies, lankiness, a thick red pea comb with three rows, a curved tail with sickles and saddle feathers beginning to grow at around 13-15 weeks, and "red patches of death" (mahogany or bright red feathers) coming out on the wing bows, as all are indications of a cockerel.

Your girls are all 100% female.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All of the birds pictured are pullets for sure.

However, they are actually Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas. Ameraucanas are a pure breed with a certain set of characteristics, including blue slate legs and a recognized color pattern (only about 7 color patterns are recognized/showable). Unless you get birds from a show breeder, most "Ameraucanas" are actually Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers are lovely, colored egg laying birds that usually have some Ameraucana blood in them but aren't purebred and tend to lack the traits that define an Ameraucana (for example, yours do not fit a color standard). Most hatcheries sell Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas or "Americana/Araucanas", which results in confusion and many people getting a crossbreed instead of a purebreed. Easter Eggers are great birds but they are often mislabeled.

One of your birds looks almost just like my Easter Egger, Easter.[​IMG] This color pattern is very common in female Easter Eggers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this. x2.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Agreed on all counts.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Wynadottes7's post; all Easter Egger pullets. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference between true Ameraucanas, true Araucanas, and Easter Eggers.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x3 all EE pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by