1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Sexing and a Mystery Chick to ID...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Flock in SF, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Flock in SF

Flock in SF Out Of The Brooder

Hello All,

Our first Back Yard Flock is getting ready to go outside and we are faced with choosing the ones to keep and name. We have 2 SLRs and 2 Buff Orpingtons that are 4 weeks old and supposedly 2 bantam black Frizzle Cochins. While one of the bantams is obviously a frizzle and is the runt of the flock the other has been the largest, although one of the BOs is quickly catching up, has the Largest Legs with lil spur buds and has a very prominent red comb and waddle. The little black chicks are supposed to be only 5 days older. The big Black frizzle has no frizzle but does have feathered feet so my guess is that possibly a standard Cochin made it's way in with the bantams at the feed and fuel?

One of the SLRs I've witnessed being pecked at in the right eye repeatedly by several of the other birds for a couple days and now seems to have a constant head twitch and will frequently close that eye and scratch it on the back. It seems alert, can still hold it's own and has firm stool. We live in San Francisco and can only have hens I'm afraid that the mystery black chick is a he as none of the other birds have as large legs. None of the other birds have red in the comb and their waddles are no where near as pronounced as the mystery bird, pretty much just a lil pink skin around the bottom mandible. All of the birds seem very handleable and will gather around my wife and or myself while keeping a little distance from our soon to be 2 yo daughter. All will eat treats from our hands and most will run up to perch on our shoulders. This is going to be hard but we need to pair down so that we can also bring in a couple more for color variety. I'm partial to the bigest of the BOs and the frizzle, my wife the gimp, and my daughter is just happy to see them every day.

Well enough about the birds as I can go on and on, watching them is a great joy for all of us, and onto some pictures from todays outing to the backyard.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and if you can help with sexing the chicks and confirming what the big black non frizzle is that would be awesome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    your smooth cochin is a rooster.