Help sexing blue bearded Belgian d’anver.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BantamAshley, Apr 5, 2018.

1. BantamAshley

BantamAshley Songster

Mar 6, 2018
    Syracuse, NY
    i have a 3 week old blue belgian bearded d'anver. Would anyone with experience with this breed be able to tell me what traits I can start to look for in determining the sex?
    I understand he may be to young right now, but I’d just like to know what I can keep an eye out for, as I have found minimal information on sexing this breed looking on the internet.
    Thank you very much for your time! 72936C72-B31A-481D-AE7F-693C0E88DDFB.jpeg

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Keep an eye on comb and wattle development as well as the appearance of sickle feathers in the tail around week 5.
    Though not the same breed but similar, my D'Uccle cockerel started showing a larger comb at 3 weeks and sickle feathers at 5 weeks.

Your chick is showing the same characteristics as my D'Uccle pullet at that age.

BantamAshley likes this.
  3. BantamAshley

BantamAshley Songster

Mar 6, 2018
    Syracuse, NY
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. That is some hopeful news as well!

4. Table4Six

Table4Six Crossing the Road

May 22, 2012
    At 3 weeks I think you can be pretty sure you have a pullet. A cockerel would have much fewer adult feathers as they grow slower and would have a much larger comb. Super cute chick!

BantamAshley likes this.
  5. BantamAshley

BantamAshley Songster

Mar 6, 2018
    Syracuse, NY
    Wow! That’s great to hear! I was expecting to have to wait it out with this one, as I just couldn’t find info. Thanks!

Table4Six likes this.
  6. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

Since d'Anvers have rose combs, it'll probably take a little longer to develop than single. At least, from my experience. :) Should know for sure in a few more weeks!

~Alex

JedJackson likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2

JedJackson likes this.
  8. mgbantams

mgbantams Songster

Oct 19, 2017
    I raise D'anvers and you can tell around 5-6 weeks by the size and redness of the comb. At that age, the comb of a male would be slightly larger and redder than the comb of a female and the spike would be very defined. Around 6 weeks you will see the beginnings of a saddle.

BantamAshley likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: