help sexing button quail and pic!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Ugo, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Ugo

Ugo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Hi, i bought some button quail eggs from stellargamebirds on july. 8 of the hatced and all are still alive, i got a lot of males, 6 males 1 female and a unknown, they are 8 weeks old today. The only female i know for sure is a female its my red breasted female who has been laying eggs for almost 1 week now. the other one im not 100% is i think a silver pearl female? she has not layed any eggs yet and doesnt have red vent feathers and i have not seen her sing like the males do. please help me confirm if the 1st photo of the silver one is a male or female. thanks!

silver pearl female or male?
    [​IMG]

my red breasted female
    [​IMG]

my red breasted male or is he blue breasted?
    [​IMG]

this 2 Cinnamon Red-Breasted Male i think only get along with each othere, they even bite the females [​IMG]
    so they live alone togather.
    [​IMG]

i also have 2 Red-Breasted Golden Pearl males and 1 white male, you can sort of see one in the 1st pic [​IMG]

2. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    I don't have anything that would be helpful to you, but those are some very beautiful birds!!! [​IMG] Thanks for the pics [​IMG]

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Awwww! I never get to see photos what I send out sadly [​IMG] Thank you for posting!

The first photo is a Silver Red Breasted Hen

The photo next to your Red Breasted hen is a Red breasted male, the Red extends up nicely to confirm that.

And sometimes males will love each other...I have some male-male pairs...Just like the human world, the button world is similar [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    #1 is a silver redbreasted female
    #2 is a red breasted female (left) and what looks like a golden pearl (could be wild or red breasted but looks like he has 'pearling') male (right)
    #3 looks like a wild (blue breasted)\\
    #4 2 Cinnamon males (to my knowledge all cinnamons are red breasted) but the one on the right looks like a cinnamon pearl.

It is possible to keep 2 same-sexed birds together, they do just fine. I actually have several males together and they don't fight...no girls though [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Boloney!! I showed you pics of the ones I hatched from yours! [​IMG]

6. Ugo

Ugo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Thanks for the replys! i was worryed the silver was a male lol, love them all though [​IMG]

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Totally off topic, but those are some amazing photos [​IMG]
    In my experiences, quails don't stay still long enough to take pics-
    It that just mine? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Very pretty birds

8. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:i know we're off topic, but it seems it was solved....so.....you must be using a DSLR type camera...nikon or cannon?

lovely birds for such nice photo's

9. Ugo

Ugo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Thanks lol. nope just a normal digi cam. COOLPIX S4100, i do take a lot of pics though and just pick the best.

10. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Quote:all my buttosn came from you quaillady!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by