Help sexing EE chicks please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Juno, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Juno

Juno Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Birmingham, England
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hi all, please can anyone give help sexing these EE chicks? Thanks! They are two weeks old here, I will add some more recent pics later, if I can get them to stay still! [​IMG]

2. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Umm these don't really look like EE, first they all have straight combs which EE can have but the norm is pea combs. Second, would need some shots of them standing, side shots, etc. :)

3. Juno

Juno Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Birmingham, England
    Hi, thanks, I'm trying to add more pics that I've just taken, but struggling to do it on my phone! They are 5 weeks old now, and two have muffs and I would say 3 do have pea combs. I git them from ebay lists as Easter Eggers, and all the eggs were shades of green or turquoise. Will keep trying with the photos, the pop up screen keeps freezing and won't let me scroll to click submit, arrghh!

4. Juno

Juno Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Birmingham, England
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics taken today [​IMG]

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    top black & red - girl
    buff - girl
    black& drk red - boy
    Red & black - boy

6. Juno

Juno Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Birmingham, England
    [​IMG]

I forgot this one yesterday!

Thanks for your help - it is interesting about the black and red two, as they look the same to me, how do you know the difference? I've only had Brahma chicks before and they turned out to be girls [​IMG]

7. mlrod1914

mlrod1914 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2014
    Berkley, MA
    I agree with the:
    girl girl boy boy post.

8. mlrod1914

mlrod1914 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2014
    Berkley, MA
    That buff colored chick is curious. No willow legs on that one. Looks more like a sussex. But from what I understand EE's don't necessarily have to have willow legs. All of mine do. But as long as they carry the blue egg gene they should be EE.

9. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    The cuckoo is most likely a male, being that light of color.

Your welcome. The main difference with the variations of the black and red is a combination of the tone of red and its placement on the bird's body. Males tend to have red shoulders and black heads while the females tend to have more coppery tones on their heads and chest.

Most of it is experience seeing the male colorings vs the female colorings, and looking for other gender indicators like developed combs, body stance, etc.

The black chested male you have is most definitely a boy just looking at the huge red single comb and you will almost never see a black breasted female bird as it is typically a male coloration. The other darker black/red male has very pink three row pea comb, though his coloring is closer to a female coloring.

Oh and your EEs are only part-bred EEs due to the single combs and other non-EE features, so the pullets may or may not lay green eggs ( I wouldn't expect any blue).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by