help sexing goldens.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sammit, Oct 6, 2013.

1. sammit

sammit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    can anyone post me a pic please of a golden hen and a golden cock side by side? new to the sexing and i dont want to send any females to the freezer on accident! thankyou!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. roosterslayeggs

roosterslayeggs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    [​IMG] guys not sure of this worked but does anyone know what kind of chicken this is? I have two of them?

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

It would be better if you didn't hijack someone else' thread. . Anyways she looks like a Blue Wyandotte. Does she have a single comb? You should create your own thread it will be easier to ask questions and reply to them.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. sammit

sammit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    goldens as is quails. cortunix quails...

6. kiwicampbell

kiwicampbell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    Sorry no photos. I only kept golden girls as I did not want to mate golden rooster with golden hens.
    However I found that the males had more brown on the head than the girls. Other than that I always waited till they were 6 weeks or so and watched for them to crow and did the "foam" check.

7. Weirdness555

Weirdness555 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    The males should still have a gingery chest in goldens, and the females do sort of have speckles, but they're hard to see. I don't have any photos of males but I have some of my hens:

[​IMG]
    You can see the speckles on her chest pretty easily, but on the others it's not so clear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by