Help sexing mix of ~6 wk old chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nitrostreak, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    So, my Mom got a bunch of straight run chicks, and now it's my job to find out what they are. They came home on June 10th, and I think they were about a week old at the time, so I guess that puts them at around 5-6 weeks?

I don't want to flood this post with pics, so here's a link to the blog where I already put them: http://confessions-of-a-female-nerd.blogspot.com/2011/07/day-uh-something.html

First
    are the Black Copper Marans, followed by the Buff Orpingtons, and finally the Rhode Island Reds.

There's one BO that has his head twisted around... Disregard that one, as I know the comb can't be seen. Poor little girl (I think it's a pullet, anyway..) has some kind of deformity and was a free toss-in from the breeder. She/he is doing well, though.

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who offers their help! <3

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Let's see if I did this right - are there 18 total? Awww... that tiny little girl is sweet. Good luck!

1. M (not too sure)
    2. M (not too sure)
    3. F
    4. M
    5. F
    6. F
    7. F
    8. F
    9. M
    10. F
    11. M
    12. M
    13. M
    14. M
    15. M
    16. F
    17. M
    18. F

3. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Thank you!

What you said pretty much lines up with what I was tentatively thinking. Unfortunate, of course, considering we only intend to keep one or two roosters.

Wishing mom had asked my advice.. I would have said not to buy straight run! [​IMG]

Live and learn, though, yes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by