Help Sexing Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by otterway, Jul 31, 2014.

1. otterway

otterway In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    Virginia
    I have 3 Muscovy that I can't quite pen down. They are now 10 weeks old and very quite. I have tried listening for the differences in their voices, but they don't seem to make any noise when I am around. They just open their bills like they are smiling and wag their tails. Super cute but not exactly helpful :)

Drake/Duck # 1 (seems to have developed angel wing)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Drake/Duck # 2
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Drake/Duck # 3
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any help :)

2. otterway

otterway In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    Virginia
    Any help would be appreciated :) I am new to ducks and have 3 Cayuga, these 3 Muscovy, and 5 more Muscovy coming up behind them. I need to make some decisions on which ones to keep and what size area I devote to them will depend on that number.

3. LilyD

LilyD Songster

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I am in the same boat as you. I have 16 young ones and am wanting to keep 2 boys and maybe 8 girls but I am not sure who is what. They are my first muscovies so I have nothing to go by.

4. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Songster

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I am not sure but I think I remember that for muscovies males will have thicker legs and will be bigger. I only had muscovies for a year and am not an expert.

5. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Songster

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    The males will be considerably larger, so their legs would be larger as well. I've heard that the males develop the red caruncles later than the females. Also, females have a sweet little chirp. Almost sounds like a duckling. The males a very raspy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: