Help sexing my 6 week old blue isbars, rhode island red and swedish flower hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AAAWilliams, Jan 27, 2013.

1. AAAWilliams

AAAWilliams New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    My babies are 6 weeks old and I would love your opinion on their gender! Please meet Leslie Knope (speck isbar), Velociraptor (blue isbar), General Tso (rhode island red), Frankenstein (brown swedish flower hen) and Dabs (black and yellow swedish flower hen). General has the most male characteristics to me. She has the biggest crown and has the most upright posture. Leslie acts like a hen to me but has a much bigger crown than her sister Velociraptor. Dabs and Frankenstein have equal sized crowns but Dabs is significantly larger than her sister. Please let me know what you think from the pictures!

Frankenstein
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leslie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dabs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

General Tso
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Velociraptor
    [​IMG]

General, Frankenstein and Velociraptor munching on some cabbage
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AAAWilliams

AAAWilliams New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Please, chicken experts!

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]!!!!

I think no one's guessing because they think you're right--General is the only one who looks rooish at this time. It would be awesome if the rest were pullets [​IMG] but that's just my guess.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the all look pullety right now. re-post in 4-6 weeks (10-12 weeks of age) or when they become 16 weeks old for saddle and hackle feather development sexing

5. AAAWilliams

AAAWilliams New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Thank you! Fingers crossed!

6. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    For me comb color is my go to guess item. If it is peach they are pullets, if it looks red they are cockerels.

7. rarebear

rarebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    Last year I hatched two rounds of chicks. It was agonizing waiting to sex them. My lavender Ameraucanas were the absolute WORST to sex. One had a bright red comb, one a pink comb and one a peach comb. I was sure and so was everybody else that the red and pink combed were roo's. It turned out they were all pullets. In fact, of the 14 I hatched, 13 of them were pullets...beginner's luck.

8. welly

welly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    Red Sox nation MA.
    Looking for the Blue Isbar expert I just hatched this one chick on the left.They are 3 days old and the wing feather are not one length can you feather sex this breed.Any help would be great.[​IMG]

9. AAAWilliams

AAAWilliams New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    So cute! If there is a way to feather sex Isbars, I certainly don't know about it! My babes are almost 3 months old and I am just now deciding I have all hens. It is torture! Congrats on your Isbars, they are definitely my favorite! They seem so much more intelligent and aware of their surroundings than my other chickens.

10. welly

welly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    Red Sox nation MA.
    Congrats on your pullets I was hoping for more Isbar chicks but the hatch didn't go as planned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by