Help sexing my Americanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WeberFarm17, Mar 1, 2018.

1. WeberFarm17

WeberFarm17 In the Brooder

Mar 1, 2018
    I have three Americanas and they are about 6 weeks old. Two are almost fully feathered, and larger and one is not quite as filled in and a bit smaller than the others. None of them are showing pink or red combs. And it’s my understanding that Americanas do not have wattles. I’m worried because if I base it on size, I think I may have just one hen from this bunch. Also, when we bought them they were called “Americana” but I mostly find information online about “Araucana”, so I’m a little lost there as well . Does anyone have any advice for me before I get too attached to a rooster? Thanks!

penny1960 and drumstick diva like this.
  2. GldnValleyHens

GldnValleyHens Songster

Apr 21, 2017
    The Driftless Area
    Pics would help to determine the sexes. Also, if none of them are showing combs, they might be all hens, but without pictures it is hard to tell. I assume you live in the city and cannot have a rooster? Because personally I think roosters are great. I have an Americauna Roo named Ricky Ricardo, he is huge and copper-grey, and blind in one eye. They are beautiful birds

3. JedJackson

JedJackson Free Ranging

Jul 6, 2016
    It is still early to sex them, but if you want us to try you could post pictures. Also, you likely have Easter eggers and not Ameraucanas or Araucanas. What most hatcheries sell as Ameraucanas are Easter eggers, which are similar but come in mixed colors.

4. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Crowing

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    Could you post pictures please?
    They are most likely Easter Eggers.

5. WeberFarm17

Mar 1, 2018
    Okay I will get some updated photos of them! Thank you all for your help!

6. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Free Ranging

Sounds like Easter Eggers, most hatcheries mislabel them as "Ameraucanas," or "Araucanas," when the real thing isn't nearly as easy to find. :) Looking forward to those pictures!

~Alex

penny1960 likes this.
  7. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Where did you get them from? There are no hatcheries that sell true Araucanas. The only way to acquire true Araucanas is through a breeder. Some hatcheries mislabel their Easter Eggers as Americanas. True Ameraucanas from a hatchery are generally around $18 a chick.

8. WeberFarm17

Mar 1, 2018
    Here is one of the three- the smallest.

Attached Files:

penny1960 likes this.
  9. WeberFarm17

Mar 1, 2018
    Here’s another

Attached Files:

penny1960 likes this.
  10. WeberFarm17

Mar 1, 2018
    This one I believe is a roo- but not sure!

Attached Files:

penny1960 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: