1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help sexing my Australorp please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sonya 101, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Sonya 101

Sonya 101 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Australia
    Would any one have an idea of the gender of my Australorp. I live in town and a rooster would not go down very well with my neighbours. He or she is 8 weeks old in these photos.
    Cheers[​IMG][​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Hard to tell, some of the feathers are a bit odd, but at this point I am leaning more towards it being a male than female... But I can't see the shape of the feathers close enough.

I will try to explain what feathers to look for. On the shoulders and wings, all chicks start with feathers that have a "U" outline to them. When a male grows his first 'roo feathers' you will see the "U" outline is still there, but now the solid filling of the "U" has retreated to a"V" in the middle and the rest of the "U" is completed by finer, shinier "fringe" style filaments. Does this make sense? These feathers often look darker and shiner, too, because the surface is different and reflects light differently. On the rump and neck, the feathers begin to grow out longer and pointer than a female's, and again, they are darker and shinier, with more fringe. The fringe is filaments that do not connect one to the other like a normal feather's filaments do. Instead, they sit alongside one another, close but not interlocked.

I will try to do you a sketch or get some photos uploaded to detail the differences.

Best wishes.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Usually at 8 weeks it's pretty easy, but this one--I'm just not sure.

I'm leaning toward pullet, just early maturing. The overall bird looks feminine to me, and the comb isn't near as large as I'd expect from a cockerel this age.

Then again, a late maturing cockerel isn't completely unheard of, either.

Sorry I can't be more definitive! Maybe post again in 4ish weeks and we can see how things are developing. Of course, if it at any time starts crowing, it's male.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I too am guessing an early developing pullet. If it were older than 8 weeks, I would say pullet for sure.

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I am also guessing Pullet. My last batch of pullets this year got red in the face really early. I think your bird has a feminine body type, cockerals tend to blocky and gangly looking.

6. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Oh and I just noticed that you only have 2 posts,

:yiipchick Welcome to the BYC ! :yiipchick

Good choice on the breed too, I love my Aussies!:D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  7. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    So just wondering...was it a boy or girl??? [​IMG]

8. Sonya 101

Sonya 101 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Australia
    A Pullet, and a lovely girl she is to....many thanks everyone [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks for the update! Always nice to see how things turned out..

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by