1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help sexing my chicks and are they really Rhode Island Reds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Michar, May 8, 2009.

1. Michar

Michar New Egg

May 8, 2009
    We have some chicks (about 3 weeks old) that we were told were Rhode Island Reds.

This is them when we got them settled in.

[​IMG]

Now that they are getting their feathers I'm wondering if they really are all RIR. Also, I've picked up from reading on the boards that Roos will have an orange/red comb. How early does that start to show? I've read, wanted, studied, prepared for a couple of years for chickens and now I feel like I know nothing.

The first two look like I expect RIR to look.

Rosie

[​IMG]

Noisy (very appropriately named, first one peeping and last one quiet)

[​IMG]

and from the front so you can see the comb

[​IMG]

The other three are a lot lighter than I expected

This one was being camera shy, or perhaps put off that the kids haven't picked a name yet.

[​IMG]

Sunshine

[​IMG]

Smiles

[​IMG]

I'd love any help sexing them and letting me know if they aren't RIR and possibly what they are.

I have a few more pictures up on this Flickr set

Thanks for your help

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some look like Production Reds but others are definitely not, like the one with blue in the wings. The first, second and third individual pics look like hatchery RIRs, or Production REds. The last two look like sexlink pullets, but the one with blue, not sure. Can't tell sex well yet.

3. ChickensInTheNorthWoods

ChickensInTheNorthWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North East CT
    To me they look like they are either red sex links or possibly golden comets (which come from breeding with a red) as they have quite a bit of white in their new feathers. Just a guess as I am newer to this but they look just like my sex links which are 5 weeks old.

4. PunkerTechnoRoo?ter

PunkerTechnoRoo?ter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Georgia
    Im raising RIR for the first time and they are remind me of how mine looked as growing chicks.
    And from what Im learning what ever ones start growing out their combs first are males.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Some of those actually look like Red sex links.

6. speckledhen

See the red chicks in this pic? They are hatchery RIRs.
    [​IMG]

7. Michar

Michar New Egg

May 8, 2009
    I'm reading and posting, reading and posting. Thanks so much for being willing to help.

If they are red sex-link the reds are pullets and the other three are roos? Or does that only work if you definitively know their lines?

8. Michar

Michar New Egg

May 8, 2009
    Oh wait, I skipped a post. I'll be patient on sex I guess.

These did come from our local feed store who I'm guessing got them from a hatchery (is that what hatchery RIR means?) Ok, I'll go back to reading before I ask anymore silly questions.

9. Concordmommy

Concordmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Michar you have to post the one with the wings outstretched and the sleeping chick photo---just adorable!

(yes, it's me, TT!) [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

If the last two are sexlinks, yes, they are pullets. Red sexlink roos are mostly white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by