Help sexing my Muscovys.... and a few other questions.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SouthernRodeo, Feb 24, 2015.

1. SouthernRodeo

SouthernRodeo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    Greensboro, Fl
    I got two new ducks this past Saturday. Lovely people here at BYC helped me sex my last duck which was a female and has since started laying. How long does it take a female's eggs to become fertile after having no male around? I'd had her for almost 5 weeks without a male. I know one of the ducks I got this past Saturday is definitely male. The other one I am not totally sure about. Now for the picture of the new guys!

[​IMG]

Right now, they are currently in with my chickens as I only have one pen. I don't let my critters free range except on weekends when both my husband and I are home. We have huge coyotes and a fox den on the property, so I am a bit terrified of letting them out without someone being here that can take care of the issues in case a coyote or fox starts after them. The coyotes have already killed off several of my cats. :( I will be building a pen just for the ducks with a small pond for them. Can't wait!

Anyway, any info will be appreciated. I've only had ducks since January 20th when I bought my first female. I have grown to love them and now want some Cayugas and possibly Khaki Campbells. We will probably breed a few Mule Ducks for meat later.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am Muscovy-ignorant, but will toss in a guess that the one on the left with more caruncles is a drake, the one on the right a duck (female). @Going Quackers or @Miss Lydia or some other Muscovy keeper help out here?

3. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    The one on the left looks like a male, the one on the right a female. Do you know how old they are?

4. SouthernRodeo

Jan 20, 2015
    Greensboro, Fl
    I was hoping one of them would be available! They helped me last time. I'm sure that the one on the left is a drake and the other a hen, but I wanted someone more experienced to tell me for sure.

That's what I'm thinking as well. I know they're under a year with the male being quite a bit older than the female. My current female that is laying eggs is only a fraction smaller than the male.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Looks like a Pair to me too. The little lady is quite pale in the flesh? do you have any idea on what she's been eating? i do know they lighten when they are not in lay and could just be the lighting of the picture...

Good luck! that is terrible about the coyote and your cats! Everyone has different risk levels, you have to work within them.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  6. SouthernRodeo

Jan 20, 2015
    Greensboro, Fl

I have no clue what she was eating before. That picture was the day I got her. She's darkened up a little since I got her. She's also quite a bit younger if going by size. She's much smaller than my laying hen. My laying hen is barely smaller than the drake. It's that normal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by