Help Sexing my new chicks!! Pictures! More Pics!!

tororider

Songster
Feb 6, 2008
Southeast MI
Well I did it. I got four ~6 week old chicks, they are new to me, from a girl who got them from a 4h hatcher. They are some mix of buff orp and new hampshire reds apparently. Is there any way to tell if they are new hampshire or rhode island? Anyways, I picked two of the lightest and two of the darkest small ones she had. I figured if they were smaller and had smaller combs, relatively, they would be more likely to be hens. She said she thought they were all hens, all 12 of them, but wasn't sure. It will be my luck they will all be roos and I will have to give them away or..... Anyways, I will post pictures as soon as I can.

P.S. I would love opinions on sex and if they really are buff orps and new hamps.

Last edited:
PICT5291.jpg

PICT5292.jpg

PICT5293.jpg

PICT5298.jpg

Let me know what you think they are sexwise and breed. I don't have a ton of confidence in the lady I bought them from.

They look to be sleeping comfortably, I have them in the basement rather than out in the garage as it is still really cold here at night.

They do look like pullets. Usually by 6 weeks they're pretty obvious(at least the RIRs). New Hampshires are a lighter red than RIRs but production strains of RIR are lighter than RIRs. Not sure you'll be able to differentiate.

Cool, I am not terribly worried about what breed they are, more that they are pullets. I will get some close up head shots tomorrow. I figure as long as they are pullets I will be getting eggs.

Yes, they do look like pullets. Very nice birds! They look very happy and healthy. The 2 looks like Rhode Island Reds - I have New Hampshire Reds and they are a lighter brown. New Hampshire Reds also develop black and white markings on their body, neck and tail. But claud is right - some might be production strains. They look very comfortablen in the brooder!

Good luck!
smile.png

Here are some closer up pics, hopefully that will help you experts in letting me know if they are indeed pullets. It is hard getting those boogers to stay for a second to take a picture.
smile.png

PICT5302.jpg

PICT5306.jpg

PICT5307.jpg

PICT5309.jpg

PICT5310.jpg

PICT5312.jpg

Back
Top Bottom