Help sexing my Pekin-Belgian Bantams

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by perthbantam, Dec 25, 2012.

1. perthbantam

perthbantam New Egg

Dec 25, 2012
    Hi all,

We have 3 Pekin-Belgian bantams around 9 weeks old. Attached is a picture of each. They have different mothers but share the same father. I am reasonable sure of the sex of 2 of them, but one is in doubt.

In the first picture, the darker orange one with very pale comb/wattle I believe is a hen.

In the second picture, the light orange one with dark flecks is clearly a rooster and I have seen him crowing already.

In the third picture, the grey one with lighter flecks is the one in question. It has a paler and smaller comb/wattle then the other rooster, and the comb is a different shape, however the comb is starting to stick up a bit. This one also faces up to the rooster in a challenging way which makes me suspect it is a rooster.

We need to offload any roosters due to the crowing so any help with the identification appreciated.

Darren
    (Western Australia)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree with your guesses on the first two. On the last one, I would have to say that's a rooster from the splotchy coloring and red comb, though I'm not really a bantam expert. Looks like a pea comb, maybe rose comb, not a single comb like your other cockerel, which is why it's not as prominent, but it's still very red for 9 weeks.

3. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    I think rooster as well.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The third is a roo.

5. ray24

ray24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
    X2.

6. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Hen, roo and roo

7. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    x2

8. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas

X3

9. perthbantam

perthbantam New Egg

Dec 25, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your opinions. The third one definitely was a roo as he started some adolescent crowing soon after I posted. He and his brother have now found new homes on a farm where they can make as much noise as they want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by