help sexing my quail!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rudy93013, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Rudy93013

Rudy93013 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Springdale AR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alright well these are the ones who have stumpped me i am needing help sexing these ive looked at all the forms but these guys i cant figure out any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks :):fl

2. BNChicks

BNChicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Best way is to gently squeeze their privates. If u get foam its male. Nothing its femalle

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Vent sexing can give false positives if the hens have been bred before hand so make sure to separate them for a few hours before vent testing. Another easy way that works sometimes is to remove them from the covey one at a time and put them in a solo cage where they can't see the other cots. It usually gets an anger crow out of the roosters. If you split them up and the lonely bird is making a cricket like chirping noise then its a hen.

4. Rudy93013

Mar 11, 2014
    Springdale AR
    Thank you i will try this ive tried just about everything but this. If i cant figure it out tho they will be on my plate soon lol.:lol:

5. BNChicks

BNChicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Just squeeze gently. U should be able to telll

6. Rudy93013

Mar 11, 2014
    Springdale AR
    I will try that today im just trying to slimm out my roo pupulation.

7. Rudy93013

Mar 11, 2014
    Springdale AR
    Tried it no foam just got pooped on...:(

8. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a very informative thread on vent sexing. After reviewing it you should be able to hold a bird you know is a hen, next to the birds in question, and identify what you have left. The vents are shaped differently and if they are fully sexually mature with a little practice you'll learn to tell them apart.

If that doesn't work, try this sure fire method. First you'll need a couple things.

-12 pack of your favorite beer (some suggest a six pack, but preparation is key here)
    -Lawn chair (something comfy)
    -BBQ and stereo are optional

Put the lawn chair by the cage and park yourself in it. Begin applying the beer to your digestive system consecutively until you see them crow/mount a hen/lay an egg or decide you'd rather just eat them. This method never fails.

9. falconertomt

falconertomt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    Utah
    Also if you try this, and it turns around and slaps you, it is most likely female.

Playing Barry White while doing this can significantly reduce the chances of being slapped.

If you say "good game" after doing this and do not get slapped, it is probably a male, if you still get slapped see above.

Buying it dinner first does not guarantee that you will not get slapped when you squeeze the vent.

Whispering "sweet nothings" to it while you do this may reduce the chances of you getting slapped if it female, but drastically increase the chances if is is male.

Bribing it with treats before and after will get Quail Protective Services knocking at your door.

That is all the advice I can give you....... [​IMG]

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by