HELP SEXING MY RIR'S please......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by arnr1530, Mar 13, 2013.

1. arnr1530

arnr1530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    these are my 6 wk old RIR i am trying to sex them cause i fear they are both roosters and i was only hoping for one if anyone can help that would be so great thank you !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Yiskah

Yiskah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Florida
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Single comb varieties almost all follow the same pattern. At 6-7 weeks, the sex becomes obvious. One can be quite wrong if guessing earlier and guessing is about all one does before that. If you had noticed, at 4 weeks, the pullets have long tails, while the cockerels generally have little stubs.

At 7 weeks, the cockerels will begin to sprout major red combs and little red wattles. Pullets generally sprout no wattles and their combs remain yellow.

Can you see the cockerel and the pullet in my photo below? Click it to enlarge. Train your eye to see the difference and you'll sex your chicks just fine by next week.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Here's two more photos. These chicks are eight weeks old. The cockerels are really "showing" now, while the pullets still show nothing.

[​IMG]
    Pullets

[​IMG]
    Cockerels

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    as you may have know the cockerels will have redish larger combs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by